"Mainport NL, flying in (and out) at Schiphol" Top 5 Page for this destination Schiphol by Pavlik_NL
Schiphol Travel Guide: 188 reviews and 511 photos
Welcome to Schiphol, mainport Holland (preferably The Netherlands) and also known as Amsterdam International Airport. This is the place where some of you will enter our little country and therefor I will make this page an informative one. Maybe it helps to prepare you a little, as Schiphol is one of the largest airports in Europe and can be quite dazzling for some. However, when you speak English one thing is off your mind. There will be no lingual-problem, as there is English written everywhere. I have had some occasions that I even had to speak English in the shops, as the people behind the counter didn't know Dutch! For others, there are also many signs that are logical to understand. With this guide you will have some extra information and will find the whole of The Netherlands before your feet.
KLM, the "Koninklijk Luchtvaart Maatschappij" (Royal Air Company) was the world's first civil aircraftcarrier, flying within the Netherland and to our colonies in the Caribic, Indonesia and Suriname. Also bringing mail to the many emigrated Dutch throughout the continents. KLM is still a considerable strong airliner that is already for many decades within the top ten of the best in service. In advertisement KLM distingueses itself from the others, by using a graceful swan as symbol. The campaign is one of the better.
One of the greatest things of Schiphol is that it is perfectly connected in all ways to the rest of The Netherlands. Under the airport are the platforms of the trains, connecting with Amsterdam Central Station within 15 minutes or The Hague in less then half an hour. As Schiphol is situated within the "Randstad" the larger towns of The Netherlands surround it. By car Amsterdam is 15 minutes away (excl. parking which will take half an hour extra (-: ). Haarlem: 10 minutes. Utrecht: 30 minutes. The Hague: 20 minutes. Rotterdam: 30 minutes.
Furthermore in front of Schiphol Plaza (see General tips) there are bus-platforms and taxi-places that are always having cabs ready (no annoying taxidrivers that await you in the airport itself). Here also the hotel-coaches stop and take you to your preebooked hotels in Amsterdam or anywhere else.
Schiphol - of course - also connects to hundreds of other airport in the world, but about that ... I will not need to explane further.
Tip for people that want to catch a glimps of Holland when waiting to get onto a connecting flight. Offers: Amsterdam (2... more travel advice
Antony Fokker lived from 1890 until 1939 and can well be regarded as one of the pioneers in aviation history. This Dutch... more travel advice
Pavlik_NL's Related Pages
Schiphol Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Schiphol Amsterdam Airport - AMS"
- "Mainport NL, flying in (and out) at Schiphol"
- "Planes and Trains"
- "Schiphol in 1995 and 2011..."
- "An airport with green pretentions"
- "Either for hours or days..."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Schiphol
- Hotels in Schiphol
- Transportation in Schiphol
- Nightlife in Schiphol
- Restaurants in Schiphol
- Shopping in Schiphol
- Warnings and Dangers in Schiphol
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Schiphol
- 25 Reviews
- 28 Photos
- 5 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (51)
Have you been to Schiphol?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Schiphol
Photos in SchipholSee All Photos (28)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 108 reviews, 135 photos, 2 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 73 reviews, 169 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ameland Intro, 89 reviews, 107 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ieper Intro, 79 reviews, 110 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arnhem Intro, 66 reviews, 106 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Delft Intro, 74 reviews, 94 photos, 2 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 67 reviews, 99 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krasnodar Intro, 50 reviews, 96 photos, 1 travelogue
- Netherlands Intro, 46 reviews, 81 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mechelen Intro, 56 reviews, 68 photos, 2 travelogues