"Step into the world of Fokker and friends" Soesterberg by Pavlik_NL
Soesterberg Travel Guide: 16 reviews and 36 photos
Flying. It must have been men's dream for many millenia and in our time it starts to become quite normal. The Netherlands were quite fast there to set up a defensive airforce as well as a military connection with the former colonial parts of our kingdom (especially Indonesia). In civil flying our country was the first to start a airliner (KLM).
The Netherlands also delivered one of the most famous pioneers in airplanes: Anthony Fokker. He was a master in building aircraft. In the first worldwar he found his financial benefits in the German airforce (The Netherlands were neutral and were therefor not interesting for development). After the war he returned to The Netherlands where until recently Fokkers were built. Sadly enough Fokker could not compete with giants like Boeing and so deminished into a supplying company for airplanes as well as spaceships (which shows there is still quite some technological engineering power.
In the small village of Soesterberg, there is a large museum. It's shortly called the MLM: "Militair Luchtvaart Museum" or Military Airforce Museum. For fans of the flying machines in both defensive as offensive ways, this is surely worth a visit. Many will have several "ooh's and aah's" to make here as the museum is filled with "the real things".
The museum is run and maintained by old airforce men that are now pensionares. They help out in the management as well... more travel advice
The National Airforce Museum in Soesterberg is quite easy to be found. Follow from Amersfoort the freeway to Utrecht or... more travel advice
Pavlik_NL's Related Pages
Soesterberg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Soesterberg with Reynaert"
- "Step into the world of Fokker and friends"
- "Soesterberg air base"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Soesterberg
- Transportation in Soesterberg
- Restaurants in Soesterberg
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Soesterberg
- 10 Reviews
- 21 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (54)
Have you been to Soesterberg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Soesterberg
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 108 reviews, 135 photos, 2 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 73 reviews, 169 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ameland Intro, 89 reviews, 107 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ieper Intro, 79 reviews, 110 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arnhem Intro, 66 reviews, 106 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Delft Intro, 74 reviews, 94 photos, 2 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 67 reviews, 99 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krasnodar Intro, 50 reviews, 96 photos, 1 travelogue
- Netherlands Intro, 46 reviews, 81 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mechelen Intro, 56 reviews, 68 photos, 2 travelogues