"Thorn, monumental town with great history" Thorn by Pavlik_NL
Thorn Travel Guide: 22 reviews and 57 photos
Thorn, a quite little town in the greens of South Limburg. Just a few hundred meters from the Belgian border. This little town has a very special gift. Given by it through history and the fact that so many houses are chalked or painted white.
Historically seen, Thorn has a very surprising tale to tell. It used to be the capitol of a very small independant state, ruled by a spiritual matriarch. The abbey was once the central administration of this little state, belonging to the holy Roman empire (in medieval times the collective of many kingdoms, states and countries throughout what is now Germany and surroundings). Now-a-days, there's little left of this monestary, but then it was famous in Berlin, where the imperial gouvernement of the holy Roman empire was setlled. The matriarch had a big influence on the council and with that it safeguarded the independance of Thorn and it's state that was situated in one of Europe's most turbulant area's.
Thorn can not only be called white as a surprising amount of green is to be found on the outskirts of the little town, making it therefor even more beautiful and scenic then it already is. Added the red of a large amount of roofs ... a real colourful place to make wonderful pictures.
The streets of Thorn are still made of seperate stones, called "Maaskeien" (after the river Maas from where they came) or Kinderkopjes (translated "children's heads). These stones are especialle a joy to walk on with high heels (NOT recommended) or driving over by racingbike (some call it a sport) - spooken about good vibrations. It however makes the town even more authentic and that's what it's about in this cosy little touristic attraction in the bourgondic South.
Limburg (and Noord-Brabant) are the Roman Catholic provinces of The Netherlands. As straight through our little country... more travel advice
On a corner of the mainstreet a little shop drew our attention by the many wooden toys in the shopwindow. Immediately we... more travel advice
- See All The streets, squares and alleys
- Surrounded by parkingplaces, so come by...
- Choice out of 350 pancakes!
Pavlik_NL's Related Pages
Thorn Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Thorn, monumental town with great history"
- "Delightful Quiet Town - A Photographer's Paradise"
- "Thorn, the white city"
- "Idyllic Dutch countryside"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Thorn
- Transportation in Thorn
- Restaurants in Thorn
- Shopping in Thorn
- Warnings and Dangers in Thorn
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Thorn
- 11 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (52)
Have you been to Thorn?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Thorn
Photos in ThornSee All Photos (14)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 108 reviews, 135 photos, 2 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 73 reviews, 169 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ameland Intro, 89 reviews, 107 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ieper Intro, 79 reviews, 110 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arnhem Intro, 66 reviews, 106 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Delft Intro, 74 reviews, 94 photos, 2 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 67 reviews, 99 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krasnodar Intro, 50 reviews, 96 photos, 1 travelogue
- Netherlands Intro, 46 reviews, 81 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mechelen Intro, 56 reviews, 68 photos, 2 travelogues