"Tiel, "capitol" of the riverlands" Tiel by Pavlik_NL
Tiel Travel Guide: 34 reviews and 72 photos
Taking the map of the Netherlands and pointing in the visual middle, you have large chances in pointing right at the town of Tiel. This town is situated in between the mayor rivers that devide The Netherlands in two. north of Tiel the "Rijn" (Rhine) flows, direct at it's flanks the mighty "Waal" goes by and just a few kilometres South the "Maas". In Roman times there was already a small settlement here, which later grew out to a mediocre regional centre with now-a-days 40.000 inhabitants.
If there is one town in The Netherlands that can be called this way, it's definately Tiel. Near Arnhem and Nijmegen the Rhine is splitting in three parts: Nederrijn (Lower Rhine), Waal and IJssel. Especially the Waal, that is right outside Tiel, is the big river and it has each year a few times outrageous floods. Along Tiels citywalls - not so much protecting the town against an enemy army, but against the water of the river - one can see in the gates slits on either side in the wall. Here doors are put in when the river water endangers the centre. In the wall of these gates commemoration stones show how high the water has been in recent times.
The riverlands are consisting of very furtile soils an therefor surrounding Tiel are the fruittreegardens of The Netherlands. Apples, pears, cherries, prunes and many many more fruit is produces in the wide region around Tiel and in this town there used to be large fruit-industrial activity. "De Betuwe" (our name for the riverlands) was a brand of jam and it's symbol was "Flipje". This cartoon-figure became famous throughout the whole country as many were eating jam and with buying pots of "De Betuwe" one also gathered coupons to obtain free comic-books about the adventures of this "Flipje". The little boy was made of berries and is now-a-days synonimous with Tiel.
Tiel, situated on the river "Waal" and not far from Rhine (Rijn) and Maas, has many ferries and bridges to connect to... more travel advice
Dutch people will not all go to Tiel frequently, but foreign visitors will obviously only come here because of the... more travel advice
Pavlik_NL's Related Pages
Tiel Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bike trip Tiel to Eck en Wiel"
- "Tiel, "capitol" of the riverlands"
- "Tiel - historic river town"
- "Home of Flipje"
- "Running around the train station"
- "Tiel - Kapel Avazaath"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tiel
- Transportation in Tiel
- Restaurants in Tiel
- Shopping in Tiel
- See All...
Explore the World
- The California Sea Otter State Game Refuge Hotels
- Grüner See Hotels
- Colorado Springs
- Obrero Hotels
- Kanton Zürich Hotels
- San Antonio Abad
- Mactan Island
- Nakhon Si Thammarat
- Tel Mond Hotels
- Pundaquit Hotels
Badges & Stats in Tiel
- 23 Reviews
- 26 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (54)
Have you been to Tiel?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tiel
- Posted in Travel Eindhoven Forum "Re: How to get to the Airport by..."
- Commented on one of Roeffie's Tiel travel pages
- Wrote a Review Tiel, surrounded by rivers and ... ferries in Tiel Transportation
- Uploaded a Photo to "Tiel, surrounded by rivers and ... ferries"
- created a Tiel Travel Page "Tiel, "capitol" of the riverlands"
Photos in TielSee All Photos (26)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 108 reviews, 135 photos, 2 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 73 reviews, 169 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ameland Intro, 89 reviews, 107 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ieper Intro, 79 reviews, 110 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arnhem Intro, 66 reviews, 106 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Delft Intro, 74 reviews, 94 photos, 2 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 67 reviews, 99 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krasnodar Intro, 50 reviews, 96 photos, 1 travelogue
- Netherlands Intro, 46 reviews, 81 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mechelen Intro, 56 reviews, 68 photos, 2 travelogues