"Valkenburg (Falconborough), a touristic highlight" Valkenburg by Pavlik_NL
Valkenburg Travel Guide: 240 reviews and 537 photos
In the middle of the peninsula-shaped Southern part of the province of Limburg (clamped in between Belgium and Germany) ... in a valley between the first hills of The Ardennes ... Valkenburg is the number one touristic hotspot. Reason are some very special places, but above all the undutch character of this still Dutch town. Valkenburg aan de Geul (Falconborough upon the Geul) is booming with visitors in the summertime and during their famous Christmas-markets in the caves. It's charm however is not ruined by the masses, so don;t be afraid of the business, but see the specialities and taste the atmosphere of Southern hospitality (yes, we too know this expression).
Parts of the hills surrounding Valkenburg and actually the whole of Southern Limburg consists of chalk-sand-stone (here they call it "mergel"). This relatively soft material is already used for centuries as building-material for houses etc. Through time numerous tunnelcomplexes have been dug out and one can speak about a network underneath the town. In total, there are in Southern Limburg over 300 kilometres of tunnels, which makes it not unnecessary to say that you should at all time stay with the guide ... getting lost is seriously danger here.
As being a touristic hotspot in the deep South of The Netherlands, Valkenburg drew various attraction to itself, to become even more touristic. Valkenburg is known for it's healthy mineral-rich water and has become a real spa in the last few centuries. Coal-mining-activities in Southern Limburg(stopped several decades ago) delivered the mining-museum here and a fairytale-forest for children also contributes to the smaller visitors. The casino attracts yet again a complete different person. Valkenburg presents for everyone something.
Anita's Exclusives is a spectacular shop for puppets in general, but babydolls in particular. The amazing fine works of... more travel advice
In Valkenburg they have a great simple place for children. Fairytale land Valkenburg offers for the youngest among us a... more travel advice
Pavlik_NL's Related Pages
Valkenburg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Xmas and more in Valkenburg"
- "VALKENBURG ZUID LIMBURG"
- "Valkenburg, Marlstone, Tourists, many attractions!"
- "A weekend in Valkenburg ..."
- "Just a great please to spend a weekend !!!"
- "Valkenburg, the marlstone town"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Valkenburg
- Hotels in Valkenburg
- Transportation in Valkenburg
- Nightlife in Valkenburg
- Restaurants in Valkenburg
- Shopping in Valkenburg
- Warnings and Dangers in Valkenburg
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Valkenburg
- 21 Reviews
- 28 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (51)
Have you been to Valkenburg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Valkenburg
- Posted in Travel Pieterburen Forum "Re: Wadden loop"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Valkenburg ... watch the past behind the new"
- Wrote a Review The most beautiful puppet shop in the Netherlands in Valkenburg Off The Beaten Path
- created a Valkenburg Travel Page "Valkenburg (Falconborough), a touristic highlight"
Photos in ValkenburgSee All Photos (28)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 108 reviews, 135 photos, 2 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 73 reviews, 169 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ameland Intro, 89 reviews, 107 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ieper Intro, 79 reviews, 110 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arnhem Intro, 66 reviews, 106 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Delft Intro, 74 reviews, 94 photos, 2 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 67 reviews, 99 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krasnodar Intro, 50 reviews, 96 photos, 1 travelogue
- Netherlands Intro, 46 reviews, 81 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mechelen Intro, 56 reviews, 68 photos, 2 travelogues