"Zeeland, where water en earth are in constant war" Top 5 Page for this destination Veere by Pavlik_NL
Veere Travel Guide: 87 reviews and 206 photos
Veere, the pearl of Zeeland, I would recommend as base for foreign visitors to explore the province that coexists with the (sea)water, yet always has to be aware of the danger of it. Veere is a well preserved piece of history and lays in the centre of attention within the province that consists for 90% of water and islands. This page also visits the Deltaworks (Oosterschelde-kering) and the capitol of Zeeland (nearby Middelburg).
Zeeland, translated "Land of the Sea" is in water/land-contrast without any doubt the most Dutch Province in The Netherlands. The province is situated in the delta of three main rivers (Rhine, Maas and Schelde) that here find their way into the Northsea. Here the Dutch have always had the strongest love/fear-relation with the sea. Love is easy to see, as watersportrecreation is nowhere so well developped as in Zeeland (by the way, the name New Zealand comes from this part of Holland). Sailing, surfing, diving, swimming and any other form of watersport is found along the enormous coastline that runs along the many islands that Zeeland consists of. However, this pleaserable side also has a dark side ... let me take you back to februari 1953 ...
In this winternight the storm rages over the country and enormous waves bash towards the dikes of the islands. Together with springtide, the water this time wins from the human works and breaks through dikes on several locations throughout Zeeland. The province almost completely vanishes into the sea and thousands of people drown or die from the cold after finding shelter on top of their houses. Even parts of neighboring provinces disappear and after the storm the damage becomes clear. The whole province had to be rebuilt from scratch and ... this should never happen again. The Dutch answer became the Deltaworks, the world's strongest fortifications against the sea and in later years also environmental friendly (see Deltaworks at Must see activities).
Well, many tourists still find their way here, but you surely shouldn't forget it if you are in Zeeland: the little town... more travel advice
In the summertime, Zeeland is booming with (especially German) tourists. Then all campings have special discotheques and... more travel advice
Pavlik_NL's Related Pages
Veere Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Another daytrip to the Netherlands"
- "Veere just before the tourist season"
- "Itsy pitsy teenie weenie... beautiful little town!"
- "Zeeland, where water en earth are in constant war"
- "Veere, a lovely village!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Veere
- Hotels in Veere
- Transportation in Veere
- Nightlife in Veere
- Restaurants in Veere
- Shopping in Veere
- Warnings and Dangers in Veere
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Veere
- 7 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (151)
Have you been to Veere?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Veere
- Posted in Travel Nijmegen Forum "Re: Where should I live and how..."
- Commented on one of Monique_T's Veere travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Zee (Sea) and Land = watersports"
- updated a Veere Travel Page "Zeeland, where water en earth are in constant war"
- Wrote a Review Veere, little pearl of Zeeland in Veere Off The Beaten Path
Photos in VeereSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 108 reviews, 135 photos, 2 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 73 reviews, 169 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ameland Intro, 89 reviews, 107 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ieper Intro, 79 reviews, 110 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arnhem Intro, 66 reviews, 106 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Delft Intro, 74 reviews, 94 photos, 2 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 67 reviews, 99 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krasnodar Intro, 50 reviews, 96 photos, 1 travelogue
- Netherlands Intro, 46 reviews, 81 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mechelen Intro, 56 reviews, 68 photos, 2 travelogues