"Vrouwenakker, Nieuwveen, Bilderdam: Amstel-pearls" Vrouwenakker by Pavlik_NL
Vrouwenakker Travel Guide: 11 reviews and 14 photos
This little corner just South-West of Amsterdam offers one of the most typical Dutch landscapes. Here the river Amstel is indeed flowing above the rooftops of farmhouses that stand in an endless lowland stretching to a far horizon. One hardly can believe here that one is in the most dense populated country in the world. Highly recommende by me for a trip by car (or bike) from Amsterdam: follow the river Amstel far enough to reach the in this page mentioned places Nieuwveen, Bilderdam and ... Vrouwenakker. Translated this last name actually mean "Women's acre" and that should attract at least many male tourists. "Is this the place where women are grown?" and "Can I order here my woman with specific wishes?" (-:
Bilderdam can only be reached through a very narrow road with "escape-places" (for approaching traffic to get aside in). Only few houses make up this idyllic spot on the map, that grew around a small bridge and ... well, what do you think the name is originating from ... a dam.
In many places one will pass lakes, proove that this area is rich in water (besides the many canals, ditches and the river Amstel). Actually, these ground are all well below sealevel, until approximately two metres. Driving over the Amstel-dike one can witness this, as the Amstel is still one of the main streams getting the water out to sea. The land on the "dry" side of the dike is significantly lower then the waterlevel, that is almost at sealevel here. The rooftops of the farmhouses on the level of the water. It' can't get any more Dutch then that.
Traditionally in these surroundings the farmhouses were build, but now-a-days one sees also that the villages offer... more travel advice
Many tourists only visit Amsterdam and ... I must emphasis that Amsterdam is by far Holland and for sure has only little... more travel advice
Pavlik_NL's Related Pages
Vrouwenakker Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Vrouwenakker, Nieuwveen, Bilderdam: Amstel-pearls"
- Create a Vrouwenakker Travel Page
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Vrouwenakker
- 11 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (46)
Have you been to Vrouwenakker?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Vrouwenakker
- Posted in Travel Amsterdam Forum "Re: Sport merchandise shop"
- Wrote a Review Watching the farmhouses and new inhabitants in Vrouwenakker Off The Beaten Path
- Uploaded a Photo to "The people living from farming and tourists"
- created a Vrouwenakker Travel Page "Vrouwenakker, Nieuwveen, Bilderdam: Amstel-pearls"
Photos in VrouwenakkerSee All Photos (14)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 108 reviews, 135 photos, 2 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 73 reviews, 169 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ameland Intro, 89 reviews, 107 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ieper Intro, 79 reviews, 110 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arnhem Intro, 66 reviews, 106 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Delft Intro, 74 reviews, 94 photos, 2 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 67 reviews, 99 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krasnodar Intro, 50 reviews, 96 photos, 1 travelogue
- Netherlands Intro, 46 reviews, 81 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mechelen Intro, 56 reviews, 68 photos, 2 travelogues