Wageningen Things to Do Tips by Pavlik_NL
Wageningen Things to Do: 7 reviews and 9 photos
Irina and Ilja enjoying the activities in green
Wageningen still kept quite some monumental parts of it's old citywalls. Also the canals are still there in some places. This area has now-a-days found a lovely new purpose as being a kind of circular park. Bringing green, peaceful and calm environment it's a must to walk around the town's centre in combination with a visit to the shops and monuments within.
The freedom-monument and hotel De Wereld
In the town's centre it still stands, though heavely damaged in the last days of the worldwar. Here the allied commanders met with the Nazi-commanders, together with our beloved Prins bernard (then the husband of Princess Juliana, who became queen later, representing the state of The Netherlands. On the 5th of May 1945 the last still occupied country in Western Europe was freed of it's hated Nazi-regime and could start the fierce job of building up again the countries infrastructure, homes and everything else. Hotel "De Wereld" (how typical it's name : The World) now is a commemoratingplace as well still a hotel! In front of it, on the 5th of May-square a statue - symbolising freedom - is the real monument. On the fifth of May here the "fire of freedom" is lighted to be spread throughout the rest of The Netherlands (by bike!) and thus giving the starting signal of the festivities.
More Reviews (6)
- Not that well connected to the outside...
- Wageningen is in NL quite of the beaten...
- Cosy terraces on the central square
Pavlik_NL's Related Pages
Wageningen Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Wageningen, our university city!"
- "Wageningen, town of freedom and liberation"
- "A small, great city In Holland"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Wageningen
- Transportation in Wageningen
- Nightlife in Wageningen
- See All...
Explore the World
- Black Diamond Hotels
- Acoma Pueblo
- Begha Mouth Hotels
- Undredal Hotels
- Bandar Baharu Hotels
Badges & Stats in Wageningen
- 8 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (49)
Have you been to Wageningen?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Wageningen
Photos in WageningenSee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 108 reviews, 135 photos, 2 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 73 reviews, 169 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ameland Intro, 89 reviews, 107 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ieper Intro, 79 reviews, 110 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arnhem Intro, 66 reviews, 106 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Delft Intro, 74 reviews, 94 photos, 2 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 67 reviews, 99 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krasnodar Intro, 50 reviews, 96 photos, 1 travelogue
- Netherlands Intro, 46 reviews, 81 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mechelen Intro, 56 reviews, 68 photos, 2 travelogues