"Wageningen, town of freedom and liberation" Wageningen by Pavlik_NL
Wageningen Travel Guide: 19 reviews and 45 photos
This date is of big importance to The Netherlands as at that date the Germans capitulated their forces that still occupied the Northern half of the country. Finally, after five years of Nazi-regime we were liberated and still on this day, here in Wageningen, one parties the hardest, loudest and most intensive our national "liberation-day".
Today (2003-5-5) we were there and of course we shot some pictures of it. Tradition is (not only in Wageningen, but anywhere in The Netherlands, to have (pop / rock)concerts on various locations throughout the town. Around 80.000 people choose Wageningen and the town is buzzing and booming. Also because here the defile (a parade) of old heroes is held. First it was only the people that were fighting for freedom in the second worldwar, now (as the amounts of the first mentioned group is every year smaller and smaller) the heroes are added with military that served on peace-missions from the UN (Libanon, Eritrea, Bosnia, Afghanistan etc.)
Wageningen is not a large town. Actually, if one would take away the Agricultural University (of worldfame), the town would deminish to village-size. However, it is an old town with an amazing amount of green within and around the centre. The old citywalls and canals (defenceline) have partly been kept and are partly turned to parks that now provide the innertown with a lovely green circle of trees, fields and water.
The weapon of Wageningen contains a wagonwheel, that refers to the first part of the name of the twon "Wagen" (Dutch for wagon or car).
As Wageningen has the Agricultural University of The Netherlands (maybe Europe or even the world), many students live and study here. They always bring a certain atmosphere that can be well expressed on the picture that I attached here.
Wageningen still kept quite some monumental parts of it's old citywalls. Also the canals are still there in some places.... more travel advice
Not many tourists, especially foreign ones will visit Wageningen. quietely laying on the river Rhine it has no mayor... more travel advice
Pavlik_NL's Related Pages
Wageningen Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Wageningen, our university city!"
- "Wageningen, town of freedom and liberation"
- "A small, great city In Holland"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Wageningen
- Transportation in Wageningen
- Nightlife in Wageningen
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Wageningen
- 8 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (151)
Have you been to Wageningen?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Wageningen
- Posted in Travel Netherlands Forum "Re: Dairy farming in Netherlands"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Wageningen, town of freedom and liberation"
- updated a Wageningen Travel Page "Wageningen, town of freedom and liberation"
- Wrote a Review The old citywalls and the parcs surrounding them in Wageningen Things to Do
Photos in WageningenSee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 108 reviews, 135 photos, 2 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 73 reviews, 169 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ameland Intro, 89 reviews, 107 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ieper Intro, 79 reviews, 110 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arnhem Intro, 66 reviews, 106 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Delft Intro, 74 reviews, 94 photos, 2 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 67 reviews, 99 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krasnodar Intro, 50 reviews, 96 photos, 1 travelogue
- Netherlands Intro, 46 reviews, 81 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mechelen Intro, 56 reviews, 68 photos, 2 travelogues