"Peaceful village, with a dark history" Westerbork by Pavlik_NL
Westerbork Travel Guide: 23 reviews and 92 photos
Besides the village that is named Westerbork and the dreadful transport camp that was here during World War II, I would like to start my page about this place in the province Drenthe with something quite different: the radio telescopes. Silently these enormous machines stand in a row cutting through the forest and listening to the stars. Will we ever hear from our friends from other universes?
It's hard to imagine what terrifying things happened here. Westerbork was turned in the second world war into a "Durchgangs Lager" or a transport camp where assembled jews from the Netherlands were put on (cattle) trains to the even more horrable concentration camps in Germany and Poland. My visit was on a snow white winterday in the week before the large Auschwitz commemoration (2005). Linked with this event, 102.000 names of Nazi-victims were read out loud on the camps ground. This, together with the feeling that one anyway gets when walking around in this dreadful place, made an enormous impression on me. In the tips, but especially in the travelogues I show a little of this visit to Camp Westerbork.
Of course, now-a-days Westerbork is a monumental place that commemorates this horrible things that lay in the past (though some idiots still repeat mistakes made in history). Westerbork is also a wonderful village in a agricultural countryside that is mixed with some small forests and heatherfields. The village also offers a small museum. More about it in the tips.
Wetsrebork itself is a small village that lays in the middle of the province of Drenthe. The actual must sees are... more travel advice
Though the former camp and the radiotelescopes are on manucipality soil of Westerbork, the actual village is about 11... more travel advice
Pavlik_NL's Related Pages
Westerbork Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Peaceful village, with a dark history"
- "** Westerbork **"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Westerbork
- 12 Reviews
- 28 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (54)
Have you been to Westerbork?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Westerbork
Photos in WesterborkSee All Photos (28)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 108 reviews, 135 photos, 2 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 73 reviews, 169 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ameland Intro, 89 reviews, 107 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ieper Intro, 79 reviews, 110 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arnhem Intro, 66 reviews, 106 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Delft Intro, 74 reviews, 94 photos, 2 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 67 reviews, 99 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krasnodar Intro, 50 reviews, 96 photos, 1 travelogue
- Netherlands Intro, 46 reviews, 81 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mechelen Intro, 56 reviews, 68 photos, 2 travelogues