Willemstad Local Custom Tips by Pavlik_NL
Willemstad Local Customs: 4 reviews and 5 photos
Now, explane what you see here ...
The town is definately not that big. You can easily mistake it for a small village if it weren;t for the fortifications and the monuments spread through the place. Willemstad's citizens are however proud to be inhabitants of the wonderful historical town and the dress up there town in the most wonderful way. Some even think of things that make the visitors look strange first and then ... laugh out loud.
Flood levels, the real enemy within the gates
Like in the whole history of The Netherlands, the real enemy was most of the time not the Vikings, French, English or Germans, but the water of the North Sea and rivers usualy bring fortune to our country. On the gatehouse there are some memorial plates in the wal that show the various flood levels in the years these disasterous events occured. Last time in 1953 the highest flood wiped away three quarters of the province of Zeeland. By the way, does it show that the levels are steadily rising!?!
The townsquare of Willemstad
Our queen and her ancestors all had a long list of titles. One of them is "Vrouwe / Heer van Willemstad" (Lady / Lord of Willemstad). This tite is also in the hands of Beatrix and will become a part of the title of Willem Alexander, that can truely again call it "his" town.
More Reviews (21)
- See All Details ... always and everywhere, so...
- Don't get caught being naughty
- Willemstad ... not visited by the...
- See All Sailing, the most Dutch of sports
Pavlik_NL's Related Pages
Willemstad Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Friendly and picturesque everywhere you look"
- "Willemstad, a little diamant in military rough"
- "A fortified town in springtime"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Willemstad
- Transportation in Willemstad
- Restaurants in Willemstad
- Warnings and Dangers in Willemstad
- See All...
Explore the World
- Grenada Hotels
- Kanchanaburi Hotels
- Port Antonio Hotels
- Badgers Island Hotels
Badges & Stats in Willemstad
- 24 Reviews
- 35 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (54)
Have you been to Willemstad?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Willemstad
Photos in WillemstadSee All Photos (35)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 108 reviews, 135 photos, 2 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 73 reviews, 169 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ameland Intro, 89 reviews, 107 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ieper Intro, 79 reviews, 110 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arnhem Intro, 66 reviews, 106 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Delft Intro, 74 reviews, 94 photos, 2 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 67 reviews, 99 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krasnodar Intro, 50 reviews, 96 photos, 1 travelogue
- Netherlands Intro, 46 reviews, 81 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mechelen Intro, 56 reviews, 68 photos, 2 travelogues