"I-Kriti (Crete), oldest culture in Europe" Crete Island by Pavlik_NL
Crete Island Travel Guide: 1,460 reviews and 3,887 photos
Long time ago there was a great culture building on the big island of Crete. Knossos, surrounded by myths and the most famous and sad one is that of Daedalus and Icarus. And suddenly the island's growth was over. Obviously a huge eruption (Atlantis?) made the earth tremble and destroyed much that was build up. A tidal wave gave the finishing touch and the Minoian culture faded away to be taken over by the later Greek culture on the mainland.
But the island holds so much more natural splendour. When you go here, discover the island with a rental scooter. This is the perfect way to get around and thus you can also visit the more - of the beaten track - places and meet the real Kretenzer. The Lassiti-plateau with it's windmills and the magnificent coastline. One must is the Samaria-precipus (how the hell do you write this word). A fierce walk, but definately worth to do.
For most it's a days trip, but equally a trip of a lifetime. The Samaria-canyon is the longest narrow canyon in Europe... more travel advice
For hikers, take a head or baseball-cap against the bright and burning sun. Also, take real good boots. The rocky... more travel advice
Pavlik_NL's Related Pages
Crete Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "In Search Of The Minotaur"
- "The REAL and IDEAL PaRaDiSe!"
- "Alternative Crete."
- "Crete - the place to be"
- "1 week, 1100 kilometres"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Crete Island
- Hotels in Crete Island
- Transportation in Crete Island
- Nightlife in Crete Island
- Restaurants in Crete Island
- Shopping in Crete Island
- Warnings and Dangers in Crete Island
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Crete Island
- 9 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (151)
Have you been to Crete Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Crete Island
- Posted in Travel Netherlands Forum "Re: Dairy farming in Netherlands"
- Commented on one of NatassaPL's Crete Island travel pages
- Wrote a Review For most it's a days trip, but... about Samaria Gorge in Crete Island Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Packing List"
- updated a Crete Island Travel Page "I-Kriti (Crete), oldest culture in Europe"
Photos in Crete IslandSee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 108 reviews, 135 photos, 2 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 73 reviews, 169 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ameland Intro, 89 reviews, 107 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ieper Intro, 79 reviews, 110 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arnhem Intro, 66 reviews, 106 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Delft Intro, 74 reviews, 94 photos, 2 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 67 reviews, 99 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krasnodar Intro, 50 reviews, 96 photos, 1 travelogue
- Netherlands Intro, 46 reviews, 81 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mechelen Intro, 56 reviews, 68 photos, 2 travelogues