"Brussels, THE European capitol" Brussels by Pavlik_NL
Brussels Travel Guide: 5,764 reviews and 12,331 photos
Brussels d.B. (district of Belgium), it can now-a-days be called. The European capitol in the centre of the European Community has however much more then the Euro-neighborhood full of high officebuildings and the European parlement. The town has a rich and moving history as the country has been a battlefield between many nations on the old continent.
Brussel, in the old days the capitol of Bourgondian Brabant. Later the most important town of the (Spanish) Lowlands and again a few centuries later the capitol that linked the so devided Belgium (Dutch-speaking Flandres and French-speaking Wallonie). Maybe that's why the atmosphere in Brussels can be called international, although the look of the (old) town is so typically Lowland (especially the Marketsquare).
When you're going to visit the Market in the centre, beware. It's beauty will put many other squares in the world permanently in the shadow. The magnificent cityhall and beautiful patrician-houses will amaze you and you can spend hours walking around.
A few blocks further, you'll meet the most famous boy of Belgium: Manneke Pis. many stories are going about this legendary kid, but no-one knows whats true and what not.
Brussels is also the place for enjoying the Bourgondian style of eating. Deliscious is here still not the word to be used as it is not good enough for the tasty menu's you can enjoy here. Especially in the little alleys around the Marketsquare you can find many restaurants that will serve you the finest courses.
Furthermore in the centre you can make long walks along many historical places. The shoppingstreets, with as highlight the first shopping-arcade in the world: Saint Hubert-galery. The churches of Saint Michel & Saint Goedele or the little Zavel, with the peaceful green place next to it, that reminds one of the blackest moments in Lowlands-history. The huge Palace of Justice (one of the largest classic buildings in the world, however holding the largest doors). On top of this all one should not forget the Royal Palace and it's park. A place where one can enjoy the wealth of the King's of Belgium as well as the peace of the green lanes.
North of the centre is Bruell-parc. Here is the famous Atomium and many other attractions of Brussels. A huge cinema, various exhibitionhalls (with various temporare exhibitions) and mini-Europe, all famous buildings of Europe built in scale.
This great song from one of the best Belgian songwriters and entertainers just had to be placed here on my Brussels... more travel advice
In 1840 Jozef was born in Tremelo and he became one of the most celebrated missionaires of Belgium, a country that... more travel advice
- See All Stuborn French speaking waiters
- See All Walk and use metro to connect the areas
- A exceptional stay in a hotel in Brussel
Pavlik_NL's Related Pages
Brussels Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "More than a decade in Brussels"
- "Say Brussels?? K! let's go to find The Soul"
- "BRUXELLES - BRUSSEL - BRUSSELS"
- "Gothic treasures , art nouveaux - a royal city!"
- "Brussels, Capital of Belgium"
- "Bruxelles, ma belle"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Brussels
- Hotels in Brussels
- Transportation in Brussels
- Nightlife in Brussels
- Restaurants in Brussels
- Shopping in Brussels
- Warnings and Dangers in Brussels
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Brussels
- 38 Reviews
- 62 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (150)
Have you been to Brussels?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Brussels
- Posted in Travel Delft Forum "Re: Where are all the nice,..."
- Commented on one of TitAnik's Brussels travel pages
- Wrote a Review Brussels by night (the song) in Brussels Nightlife
- Uploaded a Photo to "Brussels by night (the song)"
- created a Brussels Travelogue "Jubel Park, celebrating Belgian independance"
Photos in BrusselsSee All Photos (62)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 108 reviews, 135 photos, 2 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 73 reviews, 169 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ameland Intro, 89 reviews, 107 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ieper Intro, 79 reviews, 110 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arnhem Intro, 66 reviews, 106 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Delft Intro, 74 reviews, 94 photos, 2 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 67 reviews, 99 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krasnodar Intro, 50 reviews, 96 photos, 1 travelogue
- Netherlands Intro, 46 reviews, 81 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mechelen Intro, 56 reviews, 68 photos, 2 travelogues