Diest Favorite Tips by Pavlik_NL
Diest Favorites: 3 reviews and 3 photos
A statue remembering the craftsmen of smiths
Favorite thing: Diest is also known for it's medieval smith-works. First of all the shoeing of horses, but besides that the craftsmen creating iron fences, household-items and weapons. These rough iron works were for long times very popular in the wide surroundings, but as later more heavy industries in Liege and Charleroi competed with the Diest smiths, these last lost quickly the battle with the enormous productioncapacities of the much larger Wallonian competitors.
Statue honouring the beerbrewers of Diest.
Favorite thing: Belgium is famous for it's beers and I agree, they are the most deliscious in the world. Several hundred do excist around the country, not even counting the homebrew that is excisting in many places and the countryside. Diest takes a special place within this world as when the textile-industry collapsed here (fierce competition of more Western situated towns with better gateways throughout Europe), it took down other industries as well (leather and tappistry). One industry however stayed and specialised itself further: breweries! In Diest there were once more then thirty breweries. Of that now-a-days are two surviving, both still making excellent beers.
More Reviews (20)
- See All Sit down near the fire
- See All Diest's most "famous" citizen
- See All The central square of every Lowlands...
Pavlik_NL's Related Pages
Diest Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Diest, friendly town with Orange history"
- "Many thinks to do in Diest and around !"
- "Diest, Orange town"
- "Diest Page is under construction"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Diest
- Hotels in Diest
- Transportation in Diest
- Restaurants in Diest
- Shopping in Diest
- See All...
Explore the World
- Sandakan Hotels
- Padukka Hotels
- Lago Albano
- Siliserh Lake Hotels
- State of Orissa Hotels
- New Zealand
- Nea Kallikratia
Badges & Stats in Diest
- 22 Reviews
- 49 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (54)
Have you been to Diest?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Diest
Photos in DiestSee All Photos (49)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 108 reviews, 135 photos, 2 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 73 reviews, 169 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ameland Intro, 89 reviews, 107 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ieper Intro, 79 reviews, 110 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arnhem Intro, 66 reviews, 106 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Delft Intro, 74 reviews, 94 photos, 2 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 67 reviews, 99 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krasnodar Intro, 50 reviews, 96 photos, 1 travelogue
- Netherlands Intro, 46 reviews, 81 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mechelen Intro, 56 reviews, 68 photos, 2 travelogues