"Dinant, river Meuse-town with an amazing setting" Top 5 Page for this destination Dinant by Pavlik_NL
Dinant Travel Guide: 153 reviews and 333 photos
Dinant on the river Meuse (Maas) is truely a little fairytale to look at, but ... when looking at the town's historybook it is more a tragical horror-story that is told. Luckely now-a-days Dinant knows how to charm it's visitors, enchant them even, because a setting that it's centre offers is nowhere else to be found on earth. Along the river Meuse colourful houses are built, but the eye is immediately attracted by the strangly shaped form of the churchtower with it's big onion on top. Following it's peak to the highest point one immediately arrives at the seemingly invincible citadelle that is hanging on the edge of a impressive cliff. Dinant ... you can spend hours alone in watching this picture.
Dinant seems to not be lucky in who's side it chooses. It is one of the most besieged town in the world and many, many times after the enemy won the battle, the town has been plundered and it's citizens raped, captured and killed. The history of Dinant records awfull tragedies that somehow the town always recovered from. The citadelle, looking so strong and almost invincible, was eventually built but didn't matter anymore as for modern warfare knows how to deal with fortresses like that.
With on one side of the river Meuse (Maas) the town Dinant, on the other side it took some time before people settled. However most impressive on "that" side are a enormous palace-complex and two (or is it one) monasteries that almost seem to fill the whole riverbank as one looks down upon them from the citadelle.
Maybe you would never have guessed (-: but in Dinants environment there are various places for rockclimbing. No, the... more travel advice
To reach the citadelle one can take the cablelift. However ... it would be a real sport to go up by stairs! Make a real... more travel advice
Pavlik_NL's Related Pages
Dinant Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "In the neighbourhood of the born place of the Saxo"
- "Dinant, river Meuse-town with an amazing setting"
- "Dinant: a wonderful Belgian gem"
- "DINANT - SAX AND THE CITY"
- "Beautiful city on La Meuse"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Dinant
- Hotels in Dinant
- Transportation in Dinant
- Restaurants in Dinant
- Shopping in Dinant
- Warnings and Dangers in Dinant
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Dinant
- 15 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (46)
Have you been to Dinant?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dinant
Photos in DinantSee All Photos (18)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 108 reviews, 135 photos, 2 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 73 reviews, 169 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ameland Intro, 89 reviews, 107 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ieper Intro, 79 reviews, 110 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arnhem Intro, 66 reviews, 106 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Delft Intro, 74 reviews, 94 photos, 2 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 67 reviews, 99 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krasnodar Intro, 50 reviews, 96 photos, 1 travelogue
- Netherlands Intro, 46 reviews, 81 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mechelen Intro, 56 reviews, 68 photos, 2 travelogues