"Mol, one would almost think you go underground" Mol by Pavlik_NL
Mol Travel Guide: 16 reviews and 26 photos
The small town of Mol is situated in the farmost corner of the province Antwerpen and from the city Antwerpen itself. Regional it is one of the central towns and it is attractive for the surrounding villages to shop in. By the way, "Mol" actually means "Mole" in Dutch, so ... if you see little black animals with shuffles ... you're in the right town.
On the planes of the "Kempen" (name of the surrounding area) white sand deposits have been left in ancient times around the place where Mol is now. Due through winning of these sands lakes have appeared and the now form the backbone of a very touristic hotspot near Mol: beach tourism and (limited) watersports.
In the 9th century Mol was first mentioned as being a part of the given properties of Adelhard, a full cousin of Charlesmagne. With entering the abbey of Corbie, he granted all his possessions to this abbey, among which the village Mol. Only a few decades later the village was destroyed by Vikings. Difficult times would also be ahead as a powerbattle started between the Brabant nobility and the religious leaders of nearby abbeys. After that the 16th century brought the plundering soldiers of Gelre as well as the terrors of the plague. Only after those dreadful centuries, slowly Mol strated to blossom as the centre of the South-Western "Kempen" area.
The Belgian and Dutch "Kempen" are very great terrains for biking. There are several tours through the forests, along... more travel advice
Mol is easy to reach by taking a hit either of the freeway from Antwerpen to Liege, or the one that goes North bound... more travel advice
Pavlik_NL's Related Pages
Mol Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Mol, one would almost think you go underground"
- "Only in Mol Belgium can one see hands like these"
- "My home"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mol
- 14 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (52)
Have you been to Mol?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mol
Photos in MolSee All Photos (18)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 108 reviews, 135 photos, 2 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 73 reviews, 169 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ameland Intro, 89 reviews, 107 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ieper Intro, 79 reviews, 110 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arnhem Intro, 66 reviews, 106 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Delft Intro, 74 reviews, 94 photos, 2 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 67 reviews, 99 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krasnodar Intro, 50 reviews, 96 photos, 1 travelogue
- Netherlands Intro, 46 reviews, 81 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mechelen Intro, 56 reviews, 68 photos, 2 travelogues