"Sint Juliaan, the first experiments with gas" Sint-Juliaan by Pavlik_NL
Sint-Juliaan Travel Guide: 5 reviews and 15 photos
Sint Juliaan, or Saint Julien as the allied forces called this place, has gone into history as the place where for the first time on larger scale a gasattack was launched. On the 22th of April 1915 the Germans let out chloor-gas from a few dozain granates. The wind was "right" and let the gas thrive over the tranches of the Canadian division that was on the other side of no-man's land. In panic a retreat started, leaving 3.000 sufficating soldiers behind. Many others got defects for the rest of their live. The Germans however didn't find out the hole they created in the enemy line (they still didn't believe in successful warfare with gas). Eventually they only moved the frontline with a few hundred meters.
Sint Juliaan is now-a-days a small village with a surrounding that is mainly agricultural. Fields for growing of vegetables are stretching out 'til the horizon and on the junctions of roads keeping them apart you will again find many little chaples or crosses. A restored sight is the Steenakker windmill, that now gives a little smile back to the land that has suffered so much.
Around Saint Julien there are a few cemetries. Furthermore the Canadian memorial is a must to see. I will tell you more in my tips that you can see if you'ld like to know more.
Sint Juliaan is one of many stops along the "In Flanders Fields" car route. This 82 kilometers long drive through and... more travel advice
A smile in this sad landscape because of history is the "Steenakker molen" (= stone ackre windmill). It has been... more travel advice
Pavlik_NL's Related Pages
Sint-Juliaan Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sint Juliaan, the first experiments with gas"
- "De Canadien"
- "SINT-JULIAAN AND THE BROODING SOLDIER"
- "The Canadian Monument at St. Juliaan"
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Sint-Juliaan
- 4 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (54)
Have you been to Sint-Juliaan?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sint-Juliaan
- Posted in Travel Eindhoven Forum "Re: eindhoven airport to lommel"
- Wrote a Review On the road of "In Flanders Fields" route in Sint-Juliaan Transportation
- Uploaded a Photo to "On the road of "In Flanders Fields" route"
- created a Sint-Juliaan Travel Page "Sint Juliaan, the first experiments with gas"
Photos in Sint-JuliaanSee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 108 reviews, 135 photos, 2 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 73 reviews, 169 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ameland Intro, 89 reviews, 107 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ieper Intro, 79 reviews, 110 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arnhem Intro, 66 reviews, 106 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Delft Intro, 74 reviews, 94 photos, 2 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 67 reviews, 99 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krasnodar Intro, 50 reviews, 96 photos, 1 travelogue
- Netherlands Intro, 46 reviews, 81 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mechelen Intro, 56 reviews, 68 photos, 2 travelogues