"Zonnebeke, a too sunny name for a shady place" Zonnebeke by Pavlik_NL
Zonnebeke Travel Guide: 22 reviews and 56 photos
In Sepetmebr 1917 the allied forces started a fierce attack ordered by fieldmarchall Haig. This dreadful man had never been to a tranch in his whole military carreer (reason: it was too depressing) and he kept on sending 100.000s into their death. 40 kilometers behind the frontline he was sipping wine in his "chateau" when others had to go "over the top" towards certain death. May he pay the price for his awful deeds (sorry, just had to get that out of my system).
The assault was appointed North-East in the direction of Poelkapelle, Zonnebeke and eventually Passchendaele. Here the attack was stopped and thus only twelve kilometers were won. 60.000 men lost their lives in this battle. Almost 12.000 of British are burried in Tyne Cot Cemetry, the largest common wealth cemetry on mainland Europe.
In the attack the British were supported by the French and they to advanced minimally with heavy losses. Near Zonnebeke is also the large French cemetry Saint-Charles de Potyze, where 4.000 soldiers of France found their grave.
In Zonnebeke I read on a roundabout the wonderful text "Living in the land of the dead, we will not let ourselves be ruled by death." This of course must be true and I can only amaze myself about the strength the inhabitants of this sad area must have.
Through worldwars and revolutions. Through independancy battles and foreign occupation. Flanders is Catholic and will... more travel advice
Many buildings in Zonnebeke have been restored in original style. Therefor the centre of the village is a mix of modern... more travel advice
Pavlik_NL's Related Pages
Zonnebeke Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "WW one"
- "Tyne Cot and the Passchendaele Memorial Museum."
- "Zonnebeke, a too sunny name for a shady place"
- "ZONNEBEKE AND THE TYNE COT CEMETERY"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Zonnebeke
- 13 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (150)
Have you been to Zonnebeke?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Zonnebeke
Photos in ZonnebekeSee All Photos (16)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 108 reviews, 135 photos, 2 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 73 reviews, 169 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ameland Intro, 89 reviews, 107 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ieper Intro, 79 reviews, 110 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arnhem Intro, 66 reviews, 106 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Delft Intro, 74 reviews, 94 photos, 2 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 67 reviews, 99 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krasnodar Intro, 50 reviews, 96 photos, 1 travelogue
- Netherlands Intro, 46 reviews, 81 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mechelen Intro, 56 reviews, 68 photos, 2 travelogues