"Le Mont Saint Michel, the western wonder" Mont Saint Michel by Pavlik_NL
Mont Saint Michel Travel Guide: 296 reviews and 957 photos
At highschool, in the class where we got French lessons, most classmates were looking at the posters of the Eifeltower and the Arc de Triomph. I myself was much more intriged by the poster of Le Mont Saint Michel. The Eifel tower was not even 100 years old then and the Arc de Triomph also only was there for a few centuries. Le Mont Saint Michel already excisted for more then a thousand years! Attracted throughout the centuries first thousands and thousands of pilgrims from all over Europe every year and now attracts millions of tourists annually. It actually is the second tourist attraction after Paris in France! By some (and I am one of them) this remarkable island full of monumental buildings, belongs in the row of World wonders and for many centuries the nickname of Le Mont Saint Michel was "the Western wonder".
So, I knew Le Mont Saint Michel from this poster in my classroom and from the stories that our French teachers told about it. Of course I am curious enough to read about it too, but it took more then two decades to forfill the ultimate dream to have a pilgrimage myself to Le Mont Saint Michel. In 2006 our family decided to have our summer holiday in Normandy France and although our homebase was at the tip of Cotentin peninsula (Maupertus-sur-Mer near Cherbourg) and still more then 180 kilometres from our camping, I immediately reserved one full day to visit this magnificent place. This day became absolutely beautiful and I still dream to visit this special place again (though I usually not like to repeat a travel, as there is so much more to discover in this world).
Le Mont Saint Michel is a small island in the bay that bares it's name (Bay of Mont Saint Michel). This enormous wide bay is the ultimate example of the extreme tidal differences around Normandy. The sea retreats here for more then 30 kilometers, leaving a vast plain on which people can walk on the bottom of the sea. In ancient times, Le Mont became an island completely twice a day. This was in defensive strategy a clever thing, but had also a supernatural effect on the status of sanctuary of Le Mont. Pilgrims that visited the abbey were amazed about this natural phenomena, as well as from the dazzling beauty of the buildings on top of the rocky island. Sadly enough due to human interferance, the bay has been sanded in. This has caused that slowly large parts around Le Mont Saint Michel are becoming land (polders), only to be washed over by the sea at the highest tides (once a month). Only then the island becomes an island again ... but! ... a huge project has started now to eventually return the natural order in this part of the bay and bring the former speciality back to the island of Mont Saint Michel.
On Le Mont Saint Michel the Normandian flag is waving proudly, but ... is it actually Normandy or Bretagne where this... more travel advice
Never in my live have I ever visited. Maybe because we came somewhat before the start of the final of the football... more travel advice
Pavlik_NL's Related Pages
Mont Saint Michel Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A place that simply redefines 'awesome'!"
- "Mont St Michel - "The Marvel of the Western World""
- "Merveille de l’Occident"
- "A wonderful corner of France"
- "A shock for the eyes and the soul"
- "Le Mont Saint Michel, the western wonder"
- "Mont St-Michel"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mont Saint Michel
- Hotels in Mont Saint Michel
- Transportation in Mont Saint Michel
- Nightlife in Mont Saint Michel
- Restaurants in Mont Saint Michel
- Shopping in Mont Saint Michel
- Warnings and Dangers in Mont Saint Michel
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Mont Saint Michel
- 25 Reviews
- 82 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (46)
Have you been to Mont Saint Michel?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mont Saint Michel
- Posted in Travel Hindeloopen Forum "Re: Transportation"
- Wrote a Review Le Mont, Bretagne or Normandy in Mont Saint Michel Local Customs
- Uploaded a Photo to "Gothic ... the original!"
- created a Mont Saint Michel Travelogue "Visit to Le Mont Saint Michel by a pilgrim tourist"
- Commented on one of Carmanah's Mont Saint Michel travel pages
Photos in Mont Saint MichelSee All Photos (82)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 108 reviews, 135 photos, 2 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 73 reviews, 169 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ameland Intro, 89 reviews, 107 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ieper Intro, 79 reviews, 110 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arnhem Intro, 66 reviews, 106 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Delft Intro, 74 reviews, 94 photos, 2 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 67 reviews, 99 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krasnodar Intro, 50 reviews, 96 photos, 1 travelogue
- Netherlands Intro, 46 reviews, 81 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mechelen Intro, 56 reviews, 68 photos, 2 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (49)
Latest Mont Saint Michel hotel reviews
- Auberge Saint-Pierre
- 142 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 23, 2013
- La Vieille Auberge
- 26 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 25, 2013
- 109 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 22, 2013
- Relais St Michel
- 57 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 23, 2013
- Hotel Du Guesclin
- 23 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 11, 2012
- Le Mouton Blanc
- 159 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 18, 2013
- 49 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 19, 2013
- La Digue
- 19 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 11, 2012
- Terrasses Poulard
- 68 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 18, 2013
- La Mere Poulard
- 111 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 20, 2013