"Venezia, a miracle in the water" Venice by Pavlik_NL
Venice Travel Guide: 8,423 reviews and 22,535 photos
First time that I visited Venezia I had to pull up my pants, hang my shoes around my neck and put my socks in them. Yes, indeed, the town is slowly sinking in the sea, was what everybody was saying. Of course I had to return to this place later (preferably when it was dry) and I did. Still, a unique way of visiting this incredable beautiful place. Here you can walk for hours and hours and still be amazed if you take in mind the days of Marco Polo and his travels. East was brought (back) in the West those days and no wonder nobody believed his traveljournal. Canal Grande is indeed the most special avenue of the world (even if it's only because it is a waterway). Piazza San Marco holds your breath and if you walk far enough from the touristic hotspots, you will find abondent allies with at higher stocks laundry hanging out to dry and silent canals with old - almost breaking down - bridges. But even here it breaths the atmosphere of hundreds of years before and especially without the other tourists ... you feel that spirit of long ago times.
Stay at least one night in Venezia (or on one of the other islands in the neighborhood, like the famous Lido. Hotels at the mainland are less expensive, but you miss the Venezia-atmosphere completely. If you only unexpected are in town and still decide to take a place to stay: at the parkinghouses of Tronchetto are several touristoffices that help you to get a room - even in the last (im)possible moments.
Be prepared to bleed financially to death if you want a (short) boattrip on a authentic Gondola. The costs for only half an hour are from around 150 Euro! Still, there is not anything more romantic then this and it belongs to Venezia. Best place to hop in one is on the banks of the Canal Grande near the Rialto-bridge.
Read a lot about Venezia before going. This town has such an amazing history that you can only understand about... more travel advice
Although I too did it ... beware of the prices to take a Gondola-boatttour. Prices are just shocking (half an hour for... more travel advice
Pavlik_NL's Related Pages
Venice Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Wandering around Venice with Suvanki"
- "Amore eterno per Venezia la Serenissima :-)"
- "Venice – the City of Art"
- "Vacations in Venice"
- "MERAVIGLIOSA VENEZIA"
- "Giacomo CASANOVA"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Venice
- Hotels in Venice
- Transportation in Venice
- Nightlife in Venice
- Restaurants in Venice
- Shopping in Venice
- Warnings and Dangers in Venice
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Venice
- 8 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (149)
Have you been to Venice?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Venice
- updated a Venice Travel Page "Venezia, a miracle in the water"
- Posted in Travel Nijmegen Forum "Re: Where should I live and how..."
- Commented on one of sabinasta's Venice travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Venezia, a miracle in the water"
- Wrote a Review Read a lot about Venezia... in Venice Local Customs
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 108 reviews, 135 photos, 2 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 73 reviews, 169 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ameland Intro, 89 reviews, 107 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ieper Intro, 79 reviews, 110 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arnhem Intro, 66 reviews, 106 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Delft Intro, 74 reviews, 94 photos, 2 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 67 reviews, 99 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krasnodar Intro, 50 reviews, 96 photos, 1 travelogue
- Netherlands Intro, 46 reviews, 81 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mechelen Intro, 56 reviews, 68 photos, 2 travelogues