"Venezia, a miracle in the water" Venice by Pavlik_NL

Venice Travel Guide: 8,206 reviews and 21,714 photos

Where Marco Polo started his travels

First time that I visited Venezia I had to pull up my pants, hang my shoes around my neck and put my socks in them. Yes, indeed, the town is slowly sinking in the sea, was what everybody was saying. Of course I had to return to this place later (preferably when it was dry) and I did. Still, a unique way of visiting this incredable beautiful place. Here you can walk for hours and hours and still be amazed if you take in mind the days of Marco Polo and his travels. East was brought (back) in the West those days and no wonder nobody believed his traveljournal. Canal Grande is indeed the most special avenue of the world (even if it's only because it is a waterway). Piazza San Marco holds your breath and if you walk far enough from the touristic hotspots, you will find abondent allies with at higher stocks laundry hanging out to dry and silent canals with old - almost breaking down - bridges. But even here it breaths the atmosphere of hundreds of years before and especially without the other tourists ... you feel that spirit of long ago times.
Stay at least one night in Venezia (or on one of the other islands in the neighborhood, like the famous Lido. Hotels at the mainland are less expensive, but you miss the Venezia-atmosphere completely. If you only unexpected are in town and still decide to take a place to stay: at the parkinghouses of Tronchetto are several touristoffices that help you to get a room - even in the last (im)possible moments.
Be prepared to bleed financially to death if you want a (short) boattrip on a authentic Gondola. The costs for only half an hour are from around 150 Euro! Still, there is not anything more romantic then this and it belongs to Venezia. Best place to hop in one is on the banks of the Canal Grande near the Rialto-bridge.

• Last visit to Venice: Apr 2001
  • Intro Updated Mar 17, 2003

• eugini2001's Profile Photo
    Sep 23, 2006 at 7:34 PM

I just love this comments about italian folk,that is SO TRUE

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Mar 26, 2006 at 2:40 AM

Great insights into Venice and the Italian culture. Beautiful photographs to accompany your fine narrations.

• JetlagCity's Profile Photo
    Oct 27, 2004 at 1:04 PM

Oh well, if I'm going to bleed to death (even financially), Venice is where I want to do it, hahaha! Very nice page - I enjoyed your writing & your photos!

• ettenaj's Profile Photo
    Jul 5, 2004 at 2:50 PM

nicely put together, with some lovely pictures

• nighthawk's Profile Photo
    Jan 15, 2004 at 12:07 PM

good page of venice ... i just cannot wait to be back!!! this summer!

• Apr 15, 2003 at 10:53 AM

• CandS's Profile Photo
    Mar 6, 2003 at 2:54 PM

Wonderful page! I really loved it there, I think Venice was my favourite city in Europe... I would love to go back again some time...

• mrclay2000's Profile Photo
    Feb 8, 2003 at 8:04 PM

This page deserves much more attention than it has received. I find no objection to any details or tips that you've presented here. . .well done!

• Jul 22, 2002 at 5:03 AM

Great overview of Venice - lovely place!

• Apr 9, 2002 at 12:55 AM

Very well written pages..Love Venice too but wasn`t been ther

Pavlik_NL

“Our dream: one world, without borders”

Badges & Stats in Venice