"Antipolis, as the Greeks used to say" Top 5 Page for this destination Antibes by Pavlik_NL
Antibes Travel Guide: 196 reviews and 491 photos
Antibes is old ... ancient. The Greeks already used the safe natural harbour that the rocks of the coastal mountains provide here. Antipolis, they called it, as it was opposit (anti) of Nikaia (Nice), the most important place in the vicinity then and now. From those Greeks only little artefacts remain. They can been seen in the local archeological museum. What you see now is a heavily fortified town around a large marina and harbour. Here even the bigger ships can come close to the kays and therefore Antibes also houses a important part of the French mediterranean fleet.
Greeks were great craftmen and what the left in arts is quite amazing to their times. Antibes however also saw her share in other artists, among which Picasso is one of the more modern. Furthermore Antibes has a very cosy atmosphere, which stretches out over the whole cape. Restaurants, funny shops, terraces and great icebars, can be found within the old narrow streets of the centre.
Cap Antibes is a wonderful cape that has a rather busy coastline in buildings and privat places. Parking is made very hard and therefore it also is not recommended to go here to one of the beaches (La Paloma), though they look mighty fine. The marina (yaught harbour) around the cape are very nice and the views from the "other side" are magnificent.
North of Antibes are some great attractions. Marineland (a very exciting dolfinarium with many shows and activities) and Aquasplash (a huge water park with waterslides, swimmingpools etc.)
For those who rush by, you won't even notice, but Irina immediately was amazed by the enormous bushes of Aloe that were... more travel advice
Just South of Antibes is a peninsula shaped rock stretching into the mediterranean sea. On it many villa's and houses of... more travel advice
Pavlik_NL's Related Pages
Antibes Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Antibes for Dummies"
- "Antipolis, as the Greeks used to say"
- "Antibes - Antipolis"
- "Antibes a place to live"
- "The Pearl of the Cote d'Azur"
- "The naked truth ..."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Antibes
- Hotels in Antibes
- Transportation in Antibes
- Nightlife in Antibes
- Restaurants in Antibes
- Shopping in Antibes
- Warnings and Dangers in Antibes
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Antibes
- 12 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (52)
Have you been to Antibes?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Antibes
- Posted in Travel Netherlands Forum "Re: Best Delftware in The..."
- Commented on one of chbuchie's Antibes travel pages
- Wrote a Review Enormous bushes of Aloe in Antibes Off The Beaten Path
- Uploaded a Photo to "Enormous bushes of Aloe"
- updated a Antibes Travel Page "Antipolis, as the Greeks used to say"
Photos in AntibesSee All Photos (15)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 108 reviews, 135 photos, 2 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 73 reviews, 169 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ameland Intro, 89 reviews, 107 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ieper Intro, 79 reviews, 110 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arnhem Intro, 66 reviews, 106 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Delft Intro, 74 reviews, 94 photos, 2 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 67 reviews, 99 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krasnodar Intro, 50 reviews, 96 photos, 1 travelogue
- Netherlands Intro, 46 reviews, 81 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mechelen Intro, 56 reviews, 68 photos, 2 travelogues