"D-Day, the WW II invasion and the Mullberry port" Arromanches-les-Bains by Pavlik_NL
Arromanches-les-Bains Travel Guide: 27 reviews and 105 photos
Arromanches is a small village that played a huge role in the D-day landings of 1944. It was part of the British landingzone and found suitable for the Mulberry port that was necessary for bringing over heavier equipment to the conquered area in Normandy. It became even of vital importance, when the American Mulberry port was swept away in a autumn storm and Arromanches for a while became the most important harbour in the world (in tons of goods handled). In the sea many leftover pontons and bridgeparts are scattered on the seabed still. Silent memories of enormous business going on here in 1944.
Now-a-days the village of Arromanches is a small place with lot's of seaside charm and packed with monuments, leftovers and museums commemorating the turbulent days in 1944. In the streets cosy little café's and restaurants battle with packed souvenirshops for the many visitors that arrive from all over the world. Looking for the grave a fallen familymember, interested in the historic events that took place here and some even ... just to take a sunbath on the beach.
Most people visit not only Arromaches, but the many places along the D-day landings beaches of Normandy and therefore... more travel advice
Now a little history: Arromanches was not one of the landing beaches of D-day. It was to strong fortified by the Nazi's.... more travel advice
Pavlik_NL's Related Pages
Arromanches-les-Bains Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Arromanches les Bains or Port Wintston"
- "D-Day, the WW II invasion and the Mullberry port"
- "nice village"
- "the Allied artificial harbour"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Arromanches-les-Bains
- Hotels in Arromanches-les-Bains
- Transportation in Arromanches-les-Bains
- Restaurants in Arromanches-les-Bains
- Warnings and Dangers in Arromanches-les-Bains
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Arromanches-les-Bains
- 5 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (52)
Have you been to Arromanches-les-Bains?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Arromanches-les-Bains
- Posted in Travel Netherlands Forum "Re: Best Delftware in The..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "Arromanches, overwhelmed by historic events"
- Wrote a Review Getting around by car (or bustour) in Arromanches-les-Bains Transportation
- updated a Arromanches-les-Bains Travel Page "D-Day, the WW II invasion and the Mullberry port"
Photos in Arromanches-les-BainsSee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 108 reviews, 135 photos, 2 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 73 reviews, 169 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ameland Intro, 89 reviews, 107 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ieper Intro, 79 reviews, 110 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arnhem Intro, 66 reviews, 106 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Delft Intro, 74 reviews, 94 photos, 2 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 67 reviews, 99 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krasnodar Intro, 50 reviews, 96 photos, 1 travelogue
- Netherlands Intro, 46 reviews, 81 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mechelen Intro, 56 reviews, 68 photos, 2 travelogues