"Scenic little harbour where ships go up and down" Barfleur by Pavlik_NL
Barfleur Travel Guide: 5 reviews and 36 photos
though Barfleur in the Michelin guide (and other tourist books about Normandy) is somewhat overrated, the village with it's wonderful port, is defeinately worth a visit. The colourful ships in the harbour, that move up and down with the extreme tidal differences, are always a beautiful sight. When they lay scattered in the mud that remains after the sea has retreated away or when the waters rush in to lift them again above the kays, so fishermen can hop in and set sail for another good catch.
It was here in Barfleur that William the Conqueror set sail towards England, to demand his rights to the English thrown and indeed gaining the title behind his name. In earlier times it must have been around Barfleur that the Vikings (or Normans) set foot on French territory and decided to stay (thus the actual start of NORMANdie). This shows that the village Barfleur already is quite old and already in those long forgotten times a harbour of significance.
This is the slogan of the tourist office of Barfleur. Today Barfleur is popular among tourists and as a harbour still important for the fishing industry, but has less then 1000 inhabitants (only 650 in 2005). The coat of arms of this little port is very appropriate: it's a red shield with a French lilly on top and ... a fish hanging under it.
Between Barfleur and - in the distance - the lighthouse of Gatteville-le-Phare, there is a rocky coastline with in... more travel advice
At the rock besides the left port head, a small church is built in the 18th century. The church is devoted to Saint Mary... more travel advice
Pavlik_NL's Related Pages
Barfleur Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A picturesque village"
- "Scenic little harbour where ships go up and down"
- "Text to follow"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Barfleur
- 5 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (54)
Have you been to Barfleur?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Barfleur
Photos in BarfleurSee All Photos (15)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 108 reviews, 135 photos, 2 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 73 reviews, 169 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ameland Intro, 89 reviews, 107 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ieper Intro, 79 reviews, 110 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arnhem Intro, 66 reviews, 106 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Delft Intro, 74 reviews, 94 photos, 2 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 67 reviews, 99 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krasnodar Intro, 50 reviews, 96 photos, 1 travelogue
- Netherlands Intro, 46 reviews, 81 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mechelen Intro, 56 reviews, 68 photos, 2 travelogues