"Beautiful medieval village on the rocks" Éze by Pavlik_NL
Éze Travel Guide: 207 reviews and 643 photos
Eze, it's in every travellers guide that tells about the Cote d'Azur and yes, it's very touristic. Still, even if you don't like the masses, this place is something you shouldn't left aside. Eze is spectacular in it's situation, high on top of a rock, looking out over the surrounding mountains and - of course - the blue blue Mediterranean sea. Scenery here is like coming right out of a picturebook, but that you can see in the next few pages about medieval Eze.
In early medieval times a castle dominated the rock. Now only ruines of that castle are left. A castle always ment a protective place and though here built in a difficult place (a steep rocky mountainsside), other people drew to the safety of this castle and started building their houses around it. Streets were made, winding up and consisting for the major part out of steps (stairs). Relgious times brought the church, that with it's tower competed with the castle donjon (eventually it won the race, as the castle is practically gone these days.
A place that attracts many people, also atrtacts commerce. In Eze there are many small ateliers and artists shops that sell a wide variety of paintings, sculptures and other "art"-objects. The prices are of course according to the place and the visitors (exclusive place and people that are on a holiday, so do not watch their expenses that closely). On top of the rock, where the castle used to be is a exotic botanical garden and though it is somewhat thievish that one has to pay for it, one has to enter this part to have the best photographical spots over the village and the coast.
The medieval village on the rocks: Eze, can be easily reached by taking the "middel Corniche (coastal road) between Nice... more travel advice
Friedrich Nietzsche, the famous German poet and writer, loved Eze very much and lived in the neighbourhood for quite... more travel advice
Pavlik_NL's Related Pages
Éze Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The beauty of Eze-village"
- "Visit stunning medieval Eze on its hilltop perch!"
- "Eze-A Medieval View of France"
- "Eze ~ Medieval French Village Shines Like A Jewel"
- "High on a Mountain Top"
- "Eze - Côte d’Azur"
- "Èze Village"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Éze
- Hotels in Éze
- Transportation in Éze
- Restaurants in Éze
- Shopping in Éze
- Warnings and Dangers in Éze
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Éze
- 12 Reviews
- 21 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (46)
Have you been to Éze?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Éze
Photos in ÉzeSee All Photos (21)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 108 reviews, 135 photos, 2 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 73 reviews, 169 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ameland Intro, 89 reviews, 107 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ieper Intro, 79 reviews, 110 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arnhem Intro, 66 reviews, 106 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Delft Intro, 74 reviews, 94 photos, 2 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 67 reviews, 99 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krasnodar Intro, 50 reviews, 96 photos, 1 travelogue
- Netherlands Intro, 46 reviews, 81 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mechelen Intro, 56 reviews, 68 photos, 2 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (49)
Latest Éze hotel reviews
- Chateau Eza
- 133 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 19, 2013
- Eza Vista
- 136 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 16, 2013
- Hotel Les Terrasses D'Eze
- 76 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 21, 2013
- Cap Estel
- 26 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 11, 2013
- Chateau De La Chevre Dor
- 159 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 13, 2013
- Bastide aux Camelias
- 39 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 11, 2013