"From ancient Forum Julii to present Frejus" Top 5 Page for this destination Fréjus by Pavlik_NL
Fréjus Travel Guide: 49 reviews and 88 photos
Frejus and Saint-Raphael are forming a twin town that is situated at the border between the Cote d'Azur (department of Alpes Maritimes) and the Provence. Frejus is very old and is known to be a Ligurian settlement that later became a Greek tradingpost that on it's turn became a roman town: "Forum Julii". In medieval times the place was struggling, but became again important when Rome decided to seat a bishop here.
Frejus is different, It does not have the fame (and mass-tourism) like Cannes, Monaco, Nice or - on the other side - Saint-Tropez. The monumental inner town is - besides a usual shopping centre that also offers many interesting small shop - very colourful, playful, chaotic and alife.
For those who like ancient history, Forum Julii (the old Roman name of Frejus) can be very interesting. Now don't think you will find perfect left overs, as in Frejus most remnants of the great Roman empire are ruins. Still, the Arena, the Theatre, parts of the wall and an aquaduct, can be admired. From Greek times barely aything survived. In the museum one can see few items. Medieval monuments consist out of few houses, the bishop's house (tower) and the magnificent cathedral and monastry.
The old towns have often little amounts of green. Many people decorate their balconies and windows with flowers or let... more travel advice
Who knows better then the French to make a deliscious wine. Frejus has a few winehouses and one deserves special... more travel advice
Pavlik_NL's Related Pages
Fréjus Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Fréjus - Forum Julii"
- "Diamond in the Rough"
- "Frejus - a nice little town on the French Riviera"
- "From ancient Forum Julii to present Frejus"
- "Chapelle Cocteau - "Our Lady of Jerusalem""
- "Worth a detour"
- "Great little town on the Water"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Fréjus
- Hotels in Fréjus
- Transportation in Fréjus
- Nightlife in Fréjus
- Restaurants in Fréjus
- Shopping in Fréjus
- Warnings and Dangers in Fréjus
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Fréjus
- 10 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (52)
Have you been to Fréjus?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Fréjus
Photos in FréjusSee All Photos (13)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 108 reviews, 135 photos, 2 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 73 reviews, 169 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ameland Intro, 89 reviews, 107 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ieper Intro, 79 reviews, 110 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arnhem Intro, 66 reviews, 106 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Delft Intro, 74 reviews, 94 photos, 2 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 67 reviews, 99 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krasnodar Intro, 50 reviews, 96 photos, 1 travelogue
- Netherlands Intro, 46 reviews, 81 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mechelen Intro, 56 reviews, 68 photos, 2 travelogues