"Spectacular beauty at the end of the world" Goury by Pavlik_NL
Goury Travel Guide: 5 reviews and 19 photos
Goury is realy the end. The end of Cotentin peninsula and the most North Western point of Normandie. The rocks stretch out far into the sea and the tidal difference (> 10 meters) make it an always changing place. The lighthouse stands on some rocks far in front of the real land, warning ships for the dangerous pins of rock under the waterline, as well as for the dangerous Raz Blanchard current.
Goury is a very scenic place that will enchant sea lovers for many hours. The small port is dry at low tide, which is a funny picture for the many visitors. However, the waters soon rush in and will lift up the boats again. The village only is made up by a dozain houses, but attracts many visitors from all over the world.
Along Cap la Hague one of the world's strongest currents rages up and down with the extreme tidal differences that The Channel has. Goury is a safe haven for those ships that are are getting into trouble because of the infamous Raz Blanchard. This current has wreched already many ships and Goury also has a special rescuing team to prevent sailors that do get shipwrecked, from drowning.
Many have gotten into troubles around these waters through the centuries and many saw their ships wrecked here. Some of... more travel advice
Pavlik_NL's Related Pages
Goury Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Goury
- 3 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (48)
Have you been to Goury?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Goury
- Posted in Travel Kasteel Doorwerth Forum "Re: s`nachts rondlopen op zoek..."
- Wrote a Review Monument for those, lost in the Raz Blanchard in Goury Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Monument for those, lost in the Raz Blanchard"
- updated a Goury Travel Page "Spectacular beauty at the end of the world"
Photos in GourySee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 108 reviews, 135 photos, 2 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 73 reviews, 169 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ameland Intro, 89 reviews, 107 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ieper Intro, 79 reviews, 110 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arnhem Intro, 66 reviews, 106 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Delft Intro, 74 reviews, 94 photos, 2 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 67 reviews, 99 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krasnodar Intro, 50 reviews, 96 photos, 1 travelogue
- Netherlands Intro, 46 reviews, 81 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mechelen Intro, 56 reviews, 68 photos, 2 travelogues