"Is this France or are we in England?" Hambye by Pavlik_NL
Hambye Travel Guide: 2 reviews and 13 photos
Walking over the premices of the Hambye Abbey one actually feels as if to be in one of the many famous English abbey ruines, that are so significant for this country. However, here in Normandie many things do tend to have a certain English charm hanging over them, due to the fact that Normandy for many centuries actually belonged to Brittania and has been enormously influenced by England.
The Abbey however is - of course - an Catholic venture, that crumbled in the years that there was no more fundings to keep the mission going. It was founded in the mid 12th century and has had many ups and downs. After the French revolution, the times of the Abbey slowly become worse and worse, after it was sold and abondened by it's inhabitants. Left to the hand of wind and weather, the abbey fell to ruines. However in 1900 it was already recognised as a monument and since then kept in shape as good as is possible.
On our way to Le Mont Saint Michel, we met our good friends Anya (Irina's sister) and Joris (her Belgian husband) here. Ilja ran around in the garden, trying to see whether some apples in the trees hung low enough to take and feed to his little horse (a floating device for in the swimming pool), he just received from uor friends.
Pavlik_NL's Related Pages
Hambye Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Is this France or are we in England?"
- "An Abbey Off the Beaten Path"
- "Ruins of the abbey"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hambye
- 1 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (51)
Have you been to Hambye?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hambye
Photos in HambyeSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 108 reviews, 135 photos, 2 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 73 reviews, 169 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ameland Intro, 89 reviews, 107 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ieper Intro, 79 reviews, 110 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arnhem Intro, 66 reviews, 106 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Delft Intro, 74 reviews, 94 photos, 2 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 67 reviews, 99 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krasnodar Intro, 50 reviews, 96 photos, 1 travelogue
- Netherlands Intro, 46 reviews, 81 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mechelen Intro, 56 reviews, 68 photos, 2 travelogues