"Most spectacular views along the Cotentin coast" Jobourg by Pavlik_NL
Jobourg Travel Guide: 5 reviews and 15 photos
Jobourg is a small village inland of the most Western point of Cotentin peninsula - Normandy. The rough shoreline has created her a magnificent rocky coast. Strong currents rage along the granite cliffs, waves crush on the rocks and tidal differences make a constant changing landscape. Most visitors to this region do not even go to Jobourg, as the true attractions are around "Le Nez de Jobourg", a rocky mass that stretches out ahead of the basic coast. From this point you can enjoy truly breathtaking views along Normandian's most beautiful coastline.
Nowhere along the French coast one can see the battle between the sea and the land more up close then here in Normandy. The water gives it's best to break the strong defences of the rocks. However, the patience that the sea has, will eventually even break the extreme hard granite stone that make up the Cotentin last line of defence. Up close the granite look like dangerous spikes, picks and pins and one can imagine that a ship that runs aground here, will not just sink, but be shredded and ripped apart.
Along this coast one of the most dangerous currents in the world rages up and down with the extreme tidal differences. This is the "Raz Blanchard" and many seemen will get cold shivers hearing this name. Ships sailing with full throttle are pushed backwards in this current and along the coast are specially built refugee ports that form save havens for those ships that get caught in the current and swiftly have to hide for shelter.
Standing on the "safe" cliffs of Le Nez de Jobourg, one can see the current raging by, with in the distance the silouet of Alderney, one of the English Channel islands.
The "Raz Blanchard" is one of the strongest and most dangerous currents at the face of this earth. Due to the extreme... more travel advice
At the viewpoint of Le Nez de Jobourg a restaurant offers lunch and dinner possibilities. The terrace - of course -... more travel advice
Pavlik_NL's Related Pages
Jobourg Travel Guide
Explore the World
- State of Himachal Pradesh
- Cousins Island Hotels
- Santa Eulalia del Río
- Walla Walla Hotels
- Owen Sound
- Saint George Basseterre
- Tunisia Hotels
- Kampong Chai Chee Hotels
- Imouzzer du Kandar
- Daqiuzhuang Hotels
- Batu Kikir Hotels
Badges & Stats in Jobourg
- 5 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (54)
Have you been to Jobourg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Jobourg
- Posted in Travel Amsterdam Forum "Re: fined for pissing on the..."
- Wrote a Review Experience the Raz Blanchard on a safe distance in Jobourg Off The Beaten Path
- Uploaded a Photo to "Experience the Raz Blanchard on a safe distance"
- created a Jobourg Travel Page "Most spectacular views along the Cotentin coast"
Photos in JobourgSee All Photos (15)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 108 reviews, 135 photos, 2 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 73 reviews, 169 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ameland Intro, 89 reviews, 107 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ieper Intro, 79 reviews, 110 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arnhem Intro, 66 reviews, 106 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Delft Intro, 74 reviews, 94 photos, 2 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 67 reviews, 99 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krasnodar Intro, 50 reviews, 96 photos, 1 travelogue
- Netherlands Intro, 46 reviews, 81 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mechelen Intro, 56 reviews, 68 photos, 2 travelogues