"D-Day, the price of defeat (better choose wisely)" La Cambe by Pavlik_NL
La Cambe Travel Guide: 5 reviews and 32 photos
La Cambe holds a huge cemetry, even the largest in Normandy. Eventually it is rather logical. The Nazi's lost and therefore had far more casulaties then the Allied Forces. On the field of La Cambe, crosses (Malteser shape) are in groups of five spreaded out around a small hill in the middle. In between them are flat gravestones with names. Names of 21.200 people that choose the wrong side even though some of them - no doubt - were intensely thinking they fought for a just cause. The hill marks another grave, the grave of 296 unidentified soldiers that lost their lifes in the battle for Normandy.
Though many Germans at first were very enthousiastic about the Nazi regime of Hitler (above all, he took care of work for the many unemployed as well as economic growth in a country that was diminished to a farmer's nation after the lost Great War 1914-1918). Some already saw the regime getting out of control in the late 30-ies, but ... it was too late. Fanatism and nationalism took the overhand and THIS ALWAYS LEADS TO DISASTER. Maybe, when those who are on this cemetry, had listened more carefully to the sounds of pre-war ... and maybe when they would have choosen more carefully and wisely ... they would lay here and ... all the other cemetries of WW1 and WW2 would also not be there.
The famous Albert Schweizer once said that "graves from soldiers are the best preachers for peace" and how right he was,... more travel advice
Pavlik_NL's Related Pages
La Cambe Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A German Memorial..."
- "D-Day, the price of defeat (better choose wisely)"
- "LA CAMBE AND THE GERMAN CEMETERY PEACE GARDEN"
- "La Cambe"
- "La Cambe"
- "German Cemetery in La Cambe"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in La Cambe
- 2 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (150)
Have you been to La Cambe?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in La Cambe
- Posted in Travel Netherlands Forum "Re: Are tulips still in bloom on..."
- Wrote a Review Friedespark museum and entrance buildings in La Cambe Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Friedespark museum and entrance buildings"
- updated a La Cambe Travel Page "D-Day, the price of defeat (better choose wisely)"
Photos in La CambeSee All Photos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 108 reviews, 135 photos, 2 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 73 reviews, 169 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ameland Intro, 89 reviews, 107 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ieper Intro, 79 reviews, 110 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arnhem Intro, 66 reviews, 106 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Delft Intro, 74 reviews, 94 photos, 2 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 67 reviews, 99 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krasnodar Intro, 50 reviews, 96 photos, 1 travelogue
- Netherlands Intro, 46 reviews, 81 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mechelen Intro, 56 reviews, 68 photos, 2 travelogues