"Italy with a touch of France or vice versa" Top 5 Page for this destination Menton by Pavlik_NL
Menton Travel Guide: 136 reviews and 320 photos
The last town one meets before crossing the French Italian border is Menton. This town was part of quite a lot of empires and states, seeing some pass into oblivian and others still hanging on in present days. The town is famous for it's micro-climate that is almost tropical. Here almost all plants on earth are able to grow and blossom, making it to an ideal place for exotic gardening. This has been taken on fanatically in the last few hundred years. Menton is THE gardening town along the Cote d'Azur and offers a wide range in public gardens with numerous species.
The microclimate that Menton has is created by the Alpes mountains and the Mediterranean sea. The first reach here the highest near the coast and screen of the town and vicinity from cold influences from the North and West. The sea provides moisture and takes care that the heat of the sun does not reach too high levels for fauna. Temperatures here never drop lower then 5 degrees Celsius. To give an example of the special nature here. One of the "jardins" holds a collection of over 700 different plants.
When walking through Menton one must sometimes have the feeling "where to be". Styles and architecture run through one another and though being in France, one can't supress the feeling to be in Italy as well. History recalls that here already in prehistoric times people lived. In modern times the town fell in the hands of the French only a few centuries ago. Before that it was Monagascan and belonged for a long time to the Sardinian empire.
The casino as well as many discotheques and nightclubs attract as well the local French as the Italians from just across... more travel advice
Like all larger towns along the world famous Cote d'Azur, Menton also has it's "Palais the Congres" or Congress centre.... more travel advice
Pavlik_NL's Related Pages
Menton Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Menton - lemons, flowers, and Jean Cocteau"
- "Italy with a touch of France or vice versa"
- "MENTON: formerly Monaco with a lovely microclimate"
- "Menton, France"
- "Impressive buildings and the Citron Festival"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Menton
- Hotels in Menton
- Transportation in Menton
- Nightlife in Menton
- Restaurants in Menton
- Shopping in Menton
- Warnings and Dangers in Menton
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Menton
- 23 Reviews
- 34 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (150)
Have you been to Menton?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Menton
- Posted in Travel Nijmegen Forum "Re: Where should I live and how..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "Some more pictures from " l'Annonciade""
- updated a Menton Travelogue "Some more pictures from " l'Annonciade""
- Wrote a Review Menton attracts Italians as well as French in Menton Nightlife
- Commented on one of TRimer's Menton travel pages
Photos in MentonSee All Photos (34)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 108 reviews, 135 photos, 2 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 73 reviews, 169 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ameland Intro, 89 reviews, 107 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ieper Intro, 79 reviews, 110 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arnhem Intro, 66 reviews, 106 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Delft Intro, 74 reviews, 94 photos, 2 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 67 reviews, 99 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krasnodar Intro, 50 reviews, 96 photos, 1 travelogue
- Netherlands Intro, 46 reviews, 81 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mechelen Intro, 56 reviews, 68 photos, 2 travelogues