"D-Day, they came and went like angels" Top 5 Page for this destination Sainte-Mère-Église by Pavlik_NL
Sainte-Mère-Église Travel Guide: 18 reviews and 62 photos
In the night preceeding the D-day landings on the Normandy beaches, paratroopers were dropped above strategic places to conquer and hold them 'til releaved. One of the most massive droppings happened aroudn Saint-Mere-Eglise, to prevent the Nazi's to attack the American landingszones from the flanks.
However, the area surroundings the village has been innundated and turned into swampy fields. The village itself was defended well by the Nazi's and some smaller mistakes made by the allied command, resulted in many casualties among the parachutists of the 101.
After bombardments that night, fire was threatening the townhall of Sainte-Mere-Eglise and the citizens were just trying to extinguish it when the droppings began. Wind blew the parachutists straight over the village and a massacre started when they were noticed by the Nazi soldiers based in the village. Soldier Steel's parachute got stuck on the church tower and seeing what happened he played dead. It saved his live. In Sainte-Mere-Eglise, he's still hanging on the tower (a puppet). In The Longest Day, this event is dramatically filmed.
Sainte-Mere-Eglise now-a-days is a small village in the middle of agricultural Normandian land. The proud community... more travel advice
Of course you have to visit the church of Sainte-Mere-Eglise. "Eglise" means church in French, so actually the village... more travel advice
Pavlik_NL's Related Pages
Sainte-Mère-Église Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sainte-Mère-Église -- Utah Beach"
- "Another WWII Site in the Normandy region..."
- "It was not just a movie"
- "D-Day, they came and went like angels"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sainte-Mère-Église
- Hotels in Sainte-Mère-Église
- Shopping in Sainte-Mère-Église
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sainte-Mère-Église
- 4 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (150)
Have you been to Sainte-Mère-Église?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sainte-Mère-Église
- Posted in Travel Netherlands Forum "Re: Are tulips still in bloom on..."
- Wrote a Review A rural village imidst wide corn fields in Sainte-Mère-Église Favorites
- Uploaded a Photo to "A rural village imidst wide corn fields"
- updated a Sainte-Mère-Église Travel Page "D-Day, they came and went like angels"
Photos in Sainte-Mère-ÉgliseSee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 108 reviews, 135 photos, 2 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 73 reviews, 169 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ameland Intro, 89 reviews, 107 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ieper Intro, 79 reviews, 110 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arnhem Intro, 66 reviews, 106 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Delft Intro, 74 reviews, 94 photos, 2 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 67 reviews, 99 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krasnodar Intro, 50 reviews, 96 photos, 1 travelogue
- Netherlands Intro, 46 reviews, 81 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mechelen Intro, 56 reviews, 68 photos, 2 travelogues