"The ancient sanctuary island in the rain" Île Saint-Honorat by Pavlik_NL
Île Saint-Honorat Travel Guide: 31 reviews and 62 photos
Ile Saint Honorat is one of the Iles de Lerins and lays near the bay of Cannes on the Cote d'Azur. Sheltered from sight on most land places, as the larger Ile Sainte-Marguerite is blocking the view, it was the ideal place for a monastry. Isolated, quite, the munks could grow crops here and be alone in their prairs to God. This happened already in the first centuries after Christ and the oldest buildings left are dating back to the 4th century. Amazingly old !
Blessings come from above and we have been enormously blessed on the Ile Saint-Honorat. The Cote d'Azur doesn't have many rainy days (a whole day of rain), but we ended up in one and descided to take the boat from Cannes to the island and look around. Together with one other lady, we discovered a very special place in extremely special circumstances.
The rain was welcomed on the island so very much that first we met two girls (novices) that were running through the puddles and dancing through the raindrops. Another novice inside the church of the monastry started a small conversation and also expressed his happiness about the rain. On the way back to the boat, we saw a munk walking barefoot and smiling, while his clothes were pitch wet. Ours were as well ... we were wet to the bone (I was dressed only in a blouse ... hey, this IS the Cote d'Azur - hahaha).
We didn;t have the opportunity, but it must be very special to stay with the monchs on the island. Like it said in the... more travel advice
The island of Saint-Honorat is small and one can easily walk around the whole island within one hour time. Still, when... more travel advice
Pavlik_NL's Related Pages
Île Saint-Honorat Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A visit to Île Saint-Honorat"
- "Ile St-Honorat"
- "The ancient sanctuary island in the rain"
- "Saint-Honorat - Little sister of Saint-Margueritte"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Île Saint-Honorat
- Hotels in Île Saint-Honorat
- Transportation in Île Saint-Honorat
- Nightlife in Île Saint-Honorat
- Restaurants in Île Saint-Honorat
- Shopping in Île Saint-Honorat
- Warnings and Dangers in Île Saint-Honorat
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Île Saint-Honorat
- 12 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (52)
Have you been to Île Saint-Honorat?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Île Saint-Honorat
- Posted in Travel Netherlands Forum "Re: Best Delftware in The..."
- Commented on one of chbuchie's Île Saint-Honorat travel pages
- Wrote a Review Simple stays for those who believe in Île Saint-Honorat Hotels
- Uploaded a Photo to "Simple stays for those who believe"
- updated a Île Saint-Honorat Travel Page "The ancient sanctuary island in the rain"
Photos in Île Saint-HonoratSee All Photos (15)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 108 reviews, 135 photos, 2 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 73 reviews, 169 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ameland Intro, 89 reviews, 107 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ieper Intro, 79 reviews, 110 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arnhem Intro, 66 reviews, 106 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Delft Intro, 74 reviews, 94 photos, 2 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 67 reviews, 99 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krasnodar Intro, 50 reviews, 96 photos, 1 travelogue
- Netherlands Intro, 46 reviews, 81 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mechelen Intro, 56 reviews, 68 photos, 2 travelogues