"D-Day, Pointe-du-Hoc and the heroic Rangers" Saint-Pierre-du-Mont by Pavlik_NL
Saint-Pierre-du-Mont Travel Guide: 8 reviews and 45 photos
Just between Omaha and Utah beach, a rocky cliff sticks out into the sea, overlooking both landing area's. On top of this cliff with sheer horizontal rocks rising from a stony small strip of beach, the Germans installed a artillery battery that was seen as impenetrable from the sea side. To prevent heavy shelling on the landing parties on both Utah and Omaha beach, these canons had to be neutralised. This almost impossible objective was given to the 2nd Ranger Battalion, 225 well-trained soldiers under command of Lieutenant-Colonel Rudder. In previous days and the night before D-day, bomber command shelled this area with tons of bombs. In the morning of the 6th of June 1944, the task began ...
Under heavy machine gun fire and the throwing of grenades, the Rangers stormed the cliffs and climbed up with their specially designed climbing gear. Of course, the tol was very high and eventually only 90 of these brave soldiers reached the top of the cliffs to start dismanteling the guns that ... were not there! To their utmost amazement the bunkers were all empty. Were all these casulaties for nothing?
Later - and further inland - a few rangers found out that there were 155 mm guns well hidden in camouflaged bunkers further South and immediately destroyed them.
On the furthest tip of the cliff a stone needle rises up to the sky. This is the official monument commemorating the... more travel advice
Pavlik_NL's Related Pages
Saint-Pierre-du-Mont Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "D-Day, Pointe-du-Hoc and the heroic Rangers"
- "Pointe du Hoc"
- "Next to the Pointe du Hoc"
- "St.-Pierre-du-Mont and POINT DU HOC"
- "Pointe du Hoc"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Saint-Pierre-du-Mont
- 3 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (150)
Have you been to Saint-Pierre-du-Mont?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Saint-Pierre-du-Mont
Photos in Saint-Pierre-du-MontSee All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 108 reviews, 135 photos, 2 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 73 reviews, 169 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ameland Intro, 89 reviews, 107 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ieper Intro, 79 reviews, 110 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arnhem Intro, 66 reviews, 106 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Delft Intro, 74 reviews, 94 photos, 2 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 67 reviews, 99 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krasnodar Intro, 50 reviews, 96 photos, 1 travelogue
- Netherlands Intro, 46 reviews, 81 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mechelen Intro, 56 reviews, 68 photos, 2 travelogues