"Ile Tatihou and millions of oysters" Saint-Vaast-la-Hougue by Pavlik_NL
Saint-Vaast-la-Hougue Travel Guide: 7 reviews and 26 photos
Saint-Vaast-la-Hougue can be called the capitol of oysters. It's here where the bulk of the famous French oysters come from as it is here that extreme good circumstance exist to "farm" these sea fruits. The little village itself holds a wonderful marina, that - in constrast to those of Barfleur, Goury etc. - keeps filled with water during the extreme tidal differences of the English Channel in this region. The port is locked with thigt doors and keeps the water inside, while the sea retreated for several kilometers away.
Especially famous are the oysters from Saint-Vaast-la-Hougue. These are well known for their taste of nut. At low tide you can walk between the "pillows" on which the oysters are kept until they are fully grown. Due to the extreme tidal differences, the growing of oysters has become a speciality around the Cotentin peninsula. Oysters only grow well in fresh moving seawater, that is not to deep, preferably so shallow that once or twice a day the location lies dry. The coastal planes of Saint-Vaast are ideal for this cultivation as the tides have a difference of several meters and the seabed only gently lowers itself into the ENglish Channel (La Manche).
Just outside the coast of Saint-Vaast-la-Hougue, lies a small island. This is Ile-de-Tatihou. The insignificant island would have been absolutely unknown if it wasn't here that in 1692 an English-Dutch fleet completely destroyed the French fleet in the battle of La Hougue. After this defeat, Ile de Tatihou was appointed to become a fortress, constructed by no-one less then the famous fortress builder Vauban. Now-a-days Ile de Tatihou has become a museum, that tells about the battle, as well as about the architecture of the famous Vauban fortresses.
Well, you can of course try the oysters here in almost all restaurants. You can be sure that they are extremely fresh... more travel advice
At low tide (of course) you can walk through the oyster fields and find out more about how these sea fruits are... more travel advice
Pavlik_NL's Related Pages
Saint-Vaast-la-Hougue Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "St Vaast la-Hougue, Manche, Normandy"
- "Ile Tatihou and millions of oysters"
- "Sunny, Rainny, Funny moment in Saint-Vaast"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Saint-Vaast-la-Hougue
- Hotels in Saint-Vaast-la-Hougue
- Restaurants in Saint-Vaast-la-Hougue
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Saint-Vaast-la-Hougue
- 4 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (151)
Have you been to Saint-Vaast-la-Hougue?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Saint-Vaast-la-Hougue
Photos in Saint-Vaast-la-HougueSee All Photos (14)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 108 reviews, 135 photos, 2 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 73 reviews, 169 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ameland Intro, 89 reviews, 107 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ieper Intro, 79 reviews, 110 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arnhem Intro, 66 reviews, 106 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Delft Intro, 74 reviews, 94 photos, 2 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 67 reviews, 99 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krasnodar Intro, 50 reviews, 96 photos, 1 travelogue
- Netherlands Intro, 46 reviews, 81 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mechelen Intro, 56 reviews, 68 photos, 2 travelogues