"Sospel, prince of the mountains, king of salt" Sospel by Pavlik_NL
Sospel Travel Guide: 20 reviews and 58 photos
This place, about 20 kilometres land inwards from Menton, is a true oasis within the Alpine mountains that reach higher and higher towards eventual hights over 3.000 metres. Sospel is also a very old place, that has been the centre of the salt route as well as an important bisdom for the Roman Catholic church. Several monuments can be seen from these times, but none as clearly as the old bridge stretching over the Bevera river, connecting both parts of the town on either side of it.
At first side, Sospel seems only to offer this wonderful bridge. The two town parts on the banks of the Bevera river look old and ready to fall apart (except for some more modern buildings). Nothing is more disceiving, while hidden secrets are waiting for you when you park the car and get into the narrow alleys that are in between the old monumental houses.
Sospel surroundings are equally beautiful as the town's secrets. However they are out there in the open: the mountains that surround the town since it's founding. In all directions one has to go over passes to reach the next town or village. Southwards over the "Col de Castillon" to Menton. Westwards over the "Col de Braus" in the direction of Peille and eventually Nice. East, to Italy one needs to go over the "Col de Brouise" and North to the gates of the Mercantour National Park, the Col de Turini offers magnificent views and dazzling roads.
The road that follows mostly the old salt route is the "Col de Braus" towards Peille and Nice. The road winds upward and... more travel advice
On the "Col de Castillon", Sospel's Southern exit pass is a small village called Castillon. Just passed it high on the... more travel advice
Pavlik_NL's Related Pages
Sospel Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sospel, prince of the mountains, king of salt"
- "Sospel: Between beach and mountains"
- "Sospel: A colorful Baroque Jewel"
- "Sospel, nice tidy town, 06380."
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sospel
- 16 Reviews
- 48 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (149)
Have you been to Sospel?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sospel
Photos in SospelSee All Photos (48)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 108 reviews, 135 photos, 2 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 73 reviews, 169 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ameland Intro, 89 reviews, 107 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ieper Intro, 79 reviews, 110 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arnhem Intro, 66 reviews, 106 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Delft Intro, 74 reviews, 94 photos, 2 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 67 reviews, 99 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krasnodar Intro, 50 reviews, 96 photos, 1 travelogue
- Netherlands Intro, 46 reviews, 81 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mechelen Intro, 56 reviews, 68 photos, 2 travelogues