"Covering the west flank of Omaha Beach" Vierville-sur-Mer by Pavlik_NL
Vierville-sur-Mer Travel Guide: 8 reviews and 24 photos
The Western part of Omaha beach stretches out from Saint-Laurent-sur-Mer to Vierville-sur-Mer and is now-a-days a pleasurous place to be. The beach is wide and offers sun bathers more then enough space, children more then enough sand and swimmers refreshing waters, to have fun in/with. However, after a few hundred meters, the sea is restricted, as still here are items of war laying on the bottom (mines, scrap metal, ammunition etc.). Now-a-days silent witnesses of the hell that once raged over these beaches during the D-day landings. It's hard to imagine when your driving along this part of Normandy or are laying in the sun in summertime.
There are several monuments along this part of Omaha Beach. Varying from simple placques telling a specific story, to larger sculptures or columns with detailed texts that cover the story of the D-day landings here. As well near Saint-Laurent-sur-Mer as in Vierville, there are also small museums, based on collections of memorabilia that were left behind after the battle went North-Eastwards.
Like the British at Arromanches-les-Bains, the Americans also created a Mulberry (floating) port along the shores of... more travel advice
Pavlik_NL's Related Pages
Vierville-sur-Mer Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Covering the west flank of Omaha Beach"
- "Point du Hoc"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Vierville-sur-Mer
- Hotels in Vierville-sur-Mer
- Warnings and Dangers in Vierville-sur-Mer
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Vierville-sur-Mer
- 3 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (150)
Have you been to Vierville-sur-Mer?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Vierville-sur-Mer
Photos in Vierville-sur-MerSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 108 reviews, 135 photos, 2 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 73 reviews, 169 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ameland Intro, 89 reviews, 107 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ieper Intro, 79 reviews, 110 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arnhem Intro, 66 reviews, 106 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Delft Intro, 74 reviews, 94 photos, 2 travelogues
- Antwerp Intro, 67 reviews, 99 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krasnodar Intro, 50 reviews, 96 photos, 1 travelogue
- Netherlands Intro, 46 reviews, 81 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mechelen Intro, 56 reviews, 68 photos, 2 travelogues