"Gstaad" Gstaad by Pounder73

Gstaad Travel Guide: 26 reviews and 46 photos

Gstaad

Take the train from Montreux, up through the mountains for about an hour. (if i remember correctly)

I was supposed to meet a friend here, who had a place to stay, but we missed each other and I eventually caught the last train that night to Geneva. It is a very picturesque village where people like Liz Taylor and Roger Moore own Chalets. The center street of the town is less than a half mile, but filled with shops like Rolex, Cartier, and other of the sorts. Every other car I saw was either Audi’s, BMW’s, Bentley’s, Rolls Royce.

I was there a week or two after the ski season closed, and the village basically shuts down with very few places to stay, and none for the budget traveler. (Read my travelogue for the story)

• Pros:Picturesque small alpine mountain village for the rich and famous
  • Cons:Makes Geneva feel like a slum
  • In a nutshell:if you can afford it, more power to you
  • Last visit to Gstaad: May 2002
  • Intro Updated Jan 21, 2003

• Manara's Profile Photo
    Aug 11, 2010 at 8:24 AM

Interesting story!

• Hexepatty's Profile Photo
    Jul 19, 2003 at 5:05 PM

Swiss in generally is $$$. I have slept in upscale 5* joints, as well as slept in the back of a VW wagon! Just like Austria MUCH better, even though Swiss is VERY pretty!

• linnyloo's Profile Photo
    Jul 7, 2003 at 9:46 PM

Gosh, I hope that won't happen to us! We will be passing thro Gstaad on the golden pass line from Montruex to Interlaken. We are going to Murren for Xmas 2003.

• Geisha_Girl's Profile Photo
    May 29, 2003 at 3:28 PM

Damn, Dawg Pound, betw you "wet" walkin aimlessly around Gstaad & Johnny throwin' down w/ a cabbie in South France you boyz are a bunch o' sad traveling mofos! You need to travel w/ the vixens next time. We've perfected the art of ASK AND YE SHALL RECEIVE

Pounder73

“You're so money and you don't even know it”

Badges & Stats in Gstaad