"KL: A city in the cusp of something big ..." Kuala Lumpur by arikde
Kuala Lumpur Travel Guide: 6,004 reviews and 13,551 photos
Selamat datang!!! Kuala Lumpur (KL) is probably my favourite city in the South East and Far East parts of Asia. It is a city that has marched truimphantly towards modernity ... remnants of this are visible everywhere, the sparkling KLIA, the world's tallest building (Petronas Towers), the world's tallest flag pole @ Merdeka Square, a brand new completely automated metro system, etc.
Yet, it retains an unique sense of Asianness that has been ignored in development quests across the region ... be it in Singapore, HK, or Manila. The city (and country) is far from perfect ... it struggles with its treatment of non-Malays ... the historically surpressed Chinese and South Indian communities ... it struggles with the non-democratic institutions, and it stuggles to identify the definition of moderate Islam.
A fascinating city ... and in my opinion, one of the MUST-SEE cities of the world.
(note: Selamat datang = Welcome in Bahasa Malaysian)
- Pros:Modernity and Tradition Juxtasposed
- Cons:City where hidden race tensions can never be escaped
- In a nutshell:A Must-See City
If you want a good comprehensive picture of KL skyline, either take a cab on the road that from Masjid Negara to China... more travel advice
My favourite architecture in KL. This is a MUST-SEE ... more than (well, at least comparable to) the Petronas towers.... more travel advice
arikde's Related Pages
Kuala Lumpur Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Kuala Lumpur"
- "Kuala Lumpur - My Home"
- "KL - where the rivers (and all things else) meet."
- "-=Latest & Happening In Town=-"
- "I grew up here!!!"
- "JALAN BUKIT BINTANG"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kuala Lumpur
- Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
- Transportation in Kuala Lumpur
- Nightlife in Kuala Lumpur
- Restaurants in Kuala Lumpur
- Shopping in Kuala Lumpur
- Warnings and Dangers in Kuala Lumpur
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kuala Lumpur
- 13 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Kuala Lumpur?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kuala Lumpur
Photos in Kuala LumpurSee All Photos (11)
Top 5 Pages
- Bali Intro, 15 reviews, 15 photos
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 13 reviews, 11 photos
- Buenos Aires Intro, 7 reviews, 8 photos
- Argentina Intro, 3 reviews, 5 photos
- Kolkata (Calcutta) Intro, 4 reviews, 4 photos