Australia and Oceania Warnings Or Dangers Tips by Kate-Me Top 5 Page for this destination
Australia and Oceania Warnings and Dangers: 49 reviews and 45 photos
Red back spider
The red back spider is one of Australia's deadliest spiders.
Fortunately, it is quite small, and not that often seen, mostly outdoors in wood or old pipes, or in old outdoor toilets (prompting the old Aussie song 'Redback on the toilet seat').
I've never seen one venture inside.
They are rather tiny (just a few mms) but you can still easily identify them, by the red spot on their back.
When it starts to rain hard out in the desert, I've seen firsthand that in only a matter of minutes, the red sand/dirt can turn to almost impassable mud before too long.
my aunt's croc pic
This tip is especially pertinent in the Northern Territory.
For your own safety, don't swim in rivers, rock pools, dams and billabongs (water holes)....even if some might be blase about it and say it 'should be ok'. There have been a couple of tourist tragedies quite recently where this occurred. Tourists get hot and desperate for a swim.... but you'd be better off finding a hotel swimming pool even though it's so much less picturesque than a waterfall. It's not worth the risk.
My aunt (who after 30 years in the outback should surely know) will not even stand with her back to a water hole, for she well knows just how fast crocs can be.
how would you like to meet one of these??
Especially in the outback, you need to keep a bit of a watch out for snakes. I'd say keep an even better watch out for creepy crawlies, as they're much less easily seen, and could crawl into your shoes or clothes and not be noticed.
Australia has many dangerous snakes and spiders, the latter including the huge black Funnel Web (Sydney area rather than outback but it may be more widespread), and quite small White Tailed spider and tinier red back, just to name a few of the most common. Don't be alarmed though - maybe just get into the habit of shaking your shoes before you put them on, for peace of mind.
If you want to take a photo of an Aborigine, it is most important that you ask their permission first, because some hold the belief that if you take their photo, you steal their soul.
Bearing this in mind, you can see how they might get very upset......
More Reviews (34)
Kate-Me's Related Pages
Australia and Oceania Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "14 days travelling through Australia by car"
- "NO DOUBT, AUSTRALIA IS A TOP TOURIST DESTINATION"
- "Aboriginal Australia"
- "Being in Australia in Oceania"
- "Cruising on a Queues Ship"
- "olja1234's new Australia-Oceania Page"
- "Welcome to Australia and Oceania!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Australia and Oceania
- Hotels in Australia and Oceania
- Transportation in Australia and Oceania
- Nightlife in Australia and Oceania
- Restaurants in Australia and Oceania
- Shopping in Australia and Oceania
- Warnings and Dangers in Australia and Oceania
- See All...
Nearby Travel Guides
- See All...
Explore the World
- Bad Wimpfen
- Isla El Tigre
- Winter Park
- Vailoa Hotels
- Altamonte Springs Hotels
- Encinitas Hotels
- Sahiwal Hotels
- Salem Warnings and Dangers
- Nuwara Eliya Warnings and Dangers
- Beggars / Panhandlers / Homeless
- Areas to Avoid
- Ulaanbaatar Warnings and Dangers
- Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Province Warnings and Dangers
- Gozo Warnings and Dangers
- Hana Warnings and Dangers
- Haute-Normandie Warnings and Dangers
- Skiathos Warnings and Dangers
- Animal Watch
Badges & Stats in Australia and Oceania
- 1,494 Reviews
- 3,501 Photos
- 3 Countries
- 136 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (34)
Have you been to Australia and Oceania?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Australia and Oceania
- Posted in Travel Auckland Forum "Re: new zealand nov 2009"
- Wrote a Review More funny/unusual signs in Australia and Oceania Favorites
- Uploaded a Photo to "More funny/unusual signs"
- updated a Australia and Oceania Travelogue "AUSTRALIAN SLANG WORDS & PHRASES"
- Commented on one of RamSter's Australia and Oceania travel pages
Videos in Australia and OceaniaSee All Videos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ballarat Intro, 77 reviews, 199 photos, 5 travelogues
- Melbourne Intro, 57 reviews, 102 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Akaroa Intro, 50 reviews, 103 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Daylesford Intro, 35 reviews, 115 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mildura Intro, 46 reviews, 92 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mount Gambier Intro, 39 reviews, 93 photos, 5 travelogues
- Creswick Intro, 39 reviews, 93 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Napier Intro, 48 reviews, 82 photos, 4 travelogues
- Christchurch Intro, 39 reviews, 71 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Warrnambool Intro, 41 reviews, 67 photos, 4 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (25)
Top Australia and Oceania hotels
- Gold Coast Hotels
- 836 Reviews - 1796 Photos
- Sydney Hotels
- 5766 Reviews - 13433 Photos
- Melbourne Hotels
- 3371 Reviews - 7591 Photos
- Perth Hotels
- 2288 Reviews - 4816 Photos
- Adelaide Hotels
- 979 Reviews - 2129 Photos
- Nadi Hotels
- 105 Reviews - 296 Photos
- Surfers Paradise Hotels
- 171 Reviews - 346 Photos
- Port Douglas Hotels
- 227 Reviews - 586 Photos
- Cairns Hotels
- 866 Reviews - 2193 Photos
- Brisbane Hotels
- 1645 Reviews - 3655 Photos
- Bora-Bora Hotels
- 291 Reviews - 587 Photos
- Auckland Hotels
- 1042 Reviews - 2303 Photos
- Canberra Hotels
- 886 Reviews - 2275 Photos
- Geelong Hotels
- 318 Reviews - 667 Photos
- Caloundra Hotels
- 53 Reviews - 113 Photos