Australia and Oceania Favorite Tips by Kate-Me Top 5 Page for this destination
Australia and Oceania Favorites: 154 reviews and 127 photos
Favorite thing: Some more typical & a couple of not so typical signs in Australia.
1: Duck crossing
2: The first really multicultural road sign I've seen - in the Sunraysia district of Victoria, near Mildura.
3: Who is the skipper = in this case, who's the captain/driver, designated driver?
4. Typical outback and farm sign, warning to watch out for stock on the roads.
Favorite thing: Funny signs and roadsigns (not that this one is meant to be humourous - it's the real thing, referring to WW2) are part of the character that is Australia.
Favorite thing: These Eucalypts are known as Ghost Gums, for their very white trunks, and are also a typical sight in many parts of the outback.
Favorite thing: Road Trains are another really common sight in the outback...just hope you're not stuck driving in the cloud of dust behind one!
They're extremely long - as many as 2 - 3 times the normal size of a semi trailer.
Favorite thing: Here is hopefully a little clearer photo of a smaller Termite mound.
Favorite thing: These structures are actually termite ant mounds!
They're a rather common sight in the outback and in some instances they can be as tall as a bus. Why? Because of the wet season floods.
When the Wet Season comes, the ants move higher to escape the water.
Interestingly, these termite mounds are also magnetic, pointing north. It's scientifically proven but they don't know why. They've done experiments on the mounds, even trying to turn them around, but the ants just keep pointing north.
Frill Necked lizard
Favorite thing: Here is another desert animal you can hope to find in the Outback, Australia's famous frill necked lizard.
Fondest memory: I particularly love the reptiles (excluding snakes!) in the Australian outback. Often you can see lizards sunning themselves by the side of the roads.
Favorite thing: I don't know how the Ettamogah pub idea began, but there is one of them in Queensland and another in Albury, Victoria.
The main idea seems to be for them to be pubs so Aussie that they're more than Aussie and larger than life, combining all the aspects of outback pubs - funny and rude jokes on noticeboards and walls, memorabilia, - and more, including souvenirs, plenty of beer (of course) and even the floor is on a slight lean to make you feel drunk before you are.
Outside there's more of the same - funny signs and weird things to see.
Favorite thing: You'll see plenty of Emus out in the outback as you're travelling around. You don't even have to be in the outback to see them either.
They are curious birds, and those used to humans are usually anything but shy! (ie they'll steal your picnic lunch if they're given even half a chance, so beware!...standing 5 feet tall, in the battle for your lunch, they can be a bit intimidating.)
Better to travel in the Dry season!
Favorite thing: The Wet Season in Northern Australia (Northern Territory, Queensland) is normally between October - about the end of March.
As you see from the photo, this time of year really isn't a good time to go touring!
During the wet season, there always seems to be floods, at least somewhere, and they can last for weeks.
More Reviews (29)
Kate-Me's Related Pages
Australia and Oceania Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "14 days travelling through Australia by car"
- "NO DOUBT, AUSTRALIA IS A TOP TOURIST DESTINATION"
- "Aboriginal Australia"
- "Being in Australia in Oceania"
- "Cruising on a Queues Ship"
- "olja1234's new Australia-Oceania Page"
- "Welcome to Australia and Oceania!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Australia and Oceania
- Hotels in Australia and Oceania
- Transportation in Australia and Oceania
- Nightlife in Australia and Oceania
- Restaurants in Australia and Oceania
- Shopping in Australia and Oceania
- Warnings and Dangers in Australia and Oceania
- See All...
Nearby Travel Guides
- See All...
Explore the World
- Harden Flat Hotels
- Bear Butte National Wildlife Refuge Hotels
- Province of Ilocos Sur Hotels
- United States of America Hotels
Badges & Stats in Australia and Oceania
- 1,494 Reviews
- 3,501 Photos
- 3 Countries
- 136 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (32)
Have you been to Australia and Oceania?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Australia and Oceania
- Posted in Travel Auckland Forum "Re: new zealand nov 2009"
- Wrote a Review More funny/unusual signs in Australia and Oceania Favorites
- Uploaded a Photo to "More funny/unusual signs"
- updated a Australia and Oceania Travelogue "AUSTRALIAN SLANG WORDS & PHRASES"
- Commented on one of RamSter's Australia and Oceania travel pages
Videos in Australia and OceaniaSee All Videos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ballarat Intro, 77 reviews, 199 photos, 5 travelogues
- Melbourne Intro, 57 reviews, 102 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Akaroa Intro, 50 reviews, 103 photos, 5 travelogues
- Daylesford Intro, 35 reviews, 115 photos, 4 travelogues
- Mildura Intro, 46 reviews, 92 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mount Gambier Intro, 39 reviews, 93 photos, 5 travelogues
- Creswick Intro, 39 reviews, 93 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Napier Intro, 48 reviews, 82 photos, 4 travelogues
- Christchurch Intro, 39 reviews, 71 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Warrnambool Intro, 41 reviews, 67 photos, 4 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (25)
Top Australia and Oceania hotels
- Melbourne Hotels
- 3341 Reviews - 7500 Photos
- Perth Hotels
- 2280 Reviews - 4796 Photos
- Gold Coast Hotels
- 845 Reviews - 1806 Photos
- Sydney Hotels
- 5783 Reviews - 13452 Photos
- Nadi Hotels
- 104 Reviews - 296 Photos
- Adelaide Hotels
- 972 Reviews - 2107 Photos
- Auckland Hotels
- 1035 Reviews - 2291 Photos
- Canberra Hotels
- 847 Reviews - 2096 Photos
- Surfers Paradise Hotels
- 171 Reviews - 346 Photos
- Brisbane Hotels
- 1596 Reviews - 3435 Photos
- Wellington Hotels
- 590 Reviews - 1255 Photos
- Bora-Bora Hotels
- 291 Reviews - 584 Photos
- Port Douglas Hotels
- 227 Reviews - 586 Photos
- Darwin Hotels
- 685 Reviews - 2049 Photos
- Mackay Hotels
- 74 Reviews - 124 Photos