Annecy Things to Do Tips by Kate-Me
Annecy Things to Do: 119 reviews and 328 photos
L'eglise de St Maurice, consecrated in 1442, is well known for its rather macarbre 15th century mural of a decomposing corpse, found to the left of the altar.
It marks the tomb of Philibert de Monthoux, a one time annecy noble. The macabre mural was finished a whole 2 years before its patron’s death and is thought to reflect anxiety over the 100 years war.
Directions: old town, Annecy
Here are some of the wonderful views we had on our 2 hour cruise of Lake Annecy.
It was particularly lovely to see the contrast between the snow caps on the mountains and the deep green of the lake.
There are several choices for cruises on Lake Annecy, most of them only of 1 hour duration with no stops, so we took the Omnibus cruise (cost 13E per adult) as it took 2 hours and this one made about 7 stops at various villages around the lake, so we could get a closer glimpse.
We also saw beaches, a couple more castles from a distance, and houses with their own jetties right at the edge of the lake.
Directions: main canal, short walk from the Old Town
looking through the entry archway
Annecy Castle and the Palais de L'isle are the two main attractions of Annecy, and you can buy a combined ticket to visit both (which we did).
The Château was the home of the Counts of Geneva and the Dukes of Genevois-Nemours, a side arm of the House of Savoie (12th-16th century).
Now it it is home of the Art and History Conservatory of Annecy and even has a small Aquarium in one of its buildings.
Directions: just head uphill in the old town and you'll find it.
The Palais de l'Isle (also called the "old prison") was constructed in the 12th century. It is the symbol of the town and is among the most photographed monuments in the whole of France.
We enjoyed our visit, but as with many chateaux and prisons which we visited during our 5 week tour of France, found it more romantic and interesting on the outside than on the inside.
Still, the huge doors and empty prison cells inside are interesting in their own right.
I'd recommend visiting early in the day, soon after opening, as the rooms are small and it was quite difficult for us to move between the various rooms, dodging tour groups of 30 or 40 people.
Directions: in the middle of the main canal
More Reviews (7)
Kate-Me's Related Pages
Annecy Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Absolutely Amazing Annecy"
- "BEAUTIFUL & BUSY ANNECY!"
- "Annecy - One of France's Jewels"
- "Lovely Annecy"
- "French Venice..."
- "daytrip to Annecy"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Annecy
- Hotels in Annecy
- Transportation in Annecy
- Nightlife in Annecy
- Restaurants in Annecy
- Shopping in Annecy
- Warnings and Dangers in Annecy
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Annecy
- 12 Reviews
- 65 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (90)
Have you been to Annecy?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Annecy
Photos in AnnecySee All Photos (65)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ballarat Intro, 68 reviews, 174 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Akaroa Intro, 51 reviews, 136 photos, 7 travelogues
- Creswick Intro, 50 reviews, 129 photos, 5 travelogues
- Melbourne Intro, 60 reviews, 106 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Daylesford Intro, 36 reviews, 116 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mildura Intro, 46 reviews, 92 photos, 5 travelogues
- Christchurch Intro, 42 reviews, 92 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mount Gambier Intro, 39 reviews, 93 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Napier Intro, 48 reviews, 82 photos, 4 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 35 reviews, 87 photos, 4 travelogues