"Formidable Foix" Top 5 Page for this destination Foix by Kate-Me
Foix Travel Guide: 30 reviews and 87 photos
Foix stands at the junction of the rivers Arget and Ariege.
The Chateau de Foix was built in the 10th century and became a Cathar stronghold, becoming home to the counts of Bearn in 1290.
The counts resisted French rule until 1607 when the area was annexed and fell under the rule of King Henri IV.
We spent a pleasant couple of hours in Foix wandering the local market, having lunch with friends in a restaurant, and then visiting the interesting Foix Castle (Chateau de Foix) which dominates the town below.
- Cons:Parking as in many old french towns is very difficult
- In a nutshell:Great castle, interesting town
Foix Castle was built around the year 1000 AD, strategically placed on the top of a hill. In 1002 the castle belonged to... more travel advice
Kate-Me's Related Pages
Foix Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "FOIX- Midi Pyrenees"
- "Foix en pays Cathare"
- "Formidable Foix"
- "Foix - a mediaeval town in a glacial valley"
- "Foix with a chateau and great views"
- "Foix, Castle of Three towers"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Foix
- 2 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (35)
Have you been to Foix?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Foix
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ballarat Intro, 77 reviews, 199 photos, 5 travelogues
- Melbourne Intro, 57 reviews, 102 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Akaroa Intro, 50 reviews, 103 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Daylesford Intro, 35 reviews, 115 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mildura Intro, 46 reviews, 92 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mount Gambier Intro, 39 reviews, 93 photos, 5 travelogues
- Creswick Intro, 39 reviews, 93 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Napier Intro, 48 reviews, 82 photos, 4 travelogues
- Christchurch Intro, 39 reviews, 71 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Warrnambool Intro, 41 reviews, 67 photos, 4 travelogues