"Christchurch, New Zealand's most English city" Christchurch by Kate-Me
Christchurch Travel Guide: 1,256 reviews and 2,655 photos
I've made two visits to Christchurch now, once with my husband in February 2004 (quite a cold trip, despite it being the middle of summer) and the second one with my mother (a 9 day trip) in December 2005.
Christchurch's population is 332,000 (making it NZ’s 2nd largest city after Auckland) It has the feel of a much smaller city, or large town, to me however.
The city is located in the South Island region called Canterbury, and is said to be New Zealand’s most English city in appearance (I didn’t find it so in the city's general buildings itself, but then I come from a city in Australia where that type of architecture is seen everywhere).
The special aspects of Christchurch though I found very English: Victoria Square, Cathedral Square, the picturesque Avon river winding its way through part of the city and the English named streets as well)
Elsewhere in Canterbury:
The seaside town of Kaikoura, about 3 hours drive north of Christchurch, is considered to be the region’s eco tourism capital – very consistent seal and whale viewing opportunities, as well as Dusky dolphins, penguins and other birds (see my Kaikoura pages for more, and seal travelogues)
Mt Cook in Canterbury’s Alps is the highest mountain in New Zealand.
(See my Hokitika, Franz Josef and Fox Glacier pages from 2004)
The Canterbury Seaside town of Akaroa on the Banks Peninsula,1 ½ hours by car south east of Christchurch, is New Zealand’s uniquely French flavoured town, where French settlers landed in 1840. It’s also the best place to see the rare Hector dolphins (see my Akaroa pages)
Penguins can also be seen here and we saw a large assortment of different types of sea and wading water birds. I visitedhere again in December 2005 since I'd loved my first (too short) vistit there. This time I spent 3 1/2 days there to see it properly.
Christchurch, besides being well known for its architecture, is also home to Christchurch Catheral, one of New Zealand's most important and best examples of gothic architecture.
- Pros:English garden & building heritage, attractive surroundings, plenty to do
- Cons:looks like February is a very variable weather month there
- In a nutshell:Beautiful parks & gardens, statues, town Squares
I really couldn't decide if this one belonged in Tourist Atractions or Tourist Traps....so I've included it in both.... more travel advice
Held every Saturday and Sunday. Very worthwhile to visit.... under construction.... more travel advice
Kate-Me's Related Pages
Christchurch Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Shaken but not beaten: A city rising from ruins"
- "My Home - The (Shakey) Garden City"
- "Over Looking Lyttelton Harbour"
- "Charming Christchurch"
- "My winter holiday in summer"
- "Christchurch - Gateway to the South Island"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Christchurch
- Hotels in Christchurch
- Transportation in Christchurch
- Nightlife in Christchurch
- Restaurants in Christchurch
- Shopping in Christchurch
- Warnings and Dangers in Christchurch
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Christchurch
- 39 Reviews
- 71 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (88)
Have you been to Christchurch?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Christchurch
- Commented on one of Kakapo2's Christchurch travel pages
- Posted in Travel Auckland Forum "Re: new zealand nov 2009"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Plane views 1"
- Wrote a Review Willowbank Wildlife Park in Christchurch Things to Do
- updated a Christchurch Travel Page "Christchurch, New Zealand's most English city"
Photos in ChristchurchSee All Photos (71)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ballarat Intro, 77 reviews, 199 photos, 5 travelogues
- Melbourne Intro, 57 reviews, 102 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Akaroa Intro, 50 reviews, 103 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Daylesford Intro, 35 reviews, 115 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mildura Intro, 46 reviews, 92 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mount Gambier Intro, 39 reviews, 93 photos, 5 travelogues
- Creswick Intro, 39 reviews, 93 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Napier Intro, 48 reviews, 82 photos, 4 travelogues
- Christchurch Intro, 39 reviews, 71 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Warrnambool Intro, 41 reviews, 67 photos, 4 travelogues