"Franz Josef Glacier" Franz Josef Glacier by Kate-Me

Franz Josef Glacier Travel Guide: 129 reviews and 409 photos

UNDER CONSTRUCTION.

Time didn't permit us to stay long at Franz Josef, at all, only a couple of hours, time for my husband to climb to the glacier (all pics of glacier taken by him therefore as I only went part of the way) and for us to explore the tiny town centred - small it may have been, but it was very bustling - too busy with adventure seekers for me, with buses, maui campers, vans, cars everywhere, helicopters flying over, etc.

I had a bit of a wander in the main street, but everything looked quite expensive.

My husband did the entire glacier walk and walked out onto the ice (there is a sign there that strongly advises you not to do the very last part unless you're with a guide, as it can be dangerous).

This first photo is when we were still quite some distance away from Franz Joseph, one of our best and earliest views of it, while the weather was still good...but it changed rapidly later.

One of the chalet type buildings in the centre of Franz Josef.

• Pros:Beautiful mountain scenery with ice and snow caps, and of course the glacier
  • Cons:Extremely touristy, bustling, noisy
  • In a nutshell:Charming once you get to the glacier, beautiful mountain scenery with semi tropical trees and tree fern rainforest
  • Last visit to Franz Josef Glacier: Feb 2004
  • Intro Updated May 5, 2004

Comments

Kate-Me

“Make photos while the sun shines!”

Badges & Stats in Franz Josef Glacier

Have you been to Franz Josef Glacier?

Photos in Franz Josef Glacier