"The Kerikeri basin & surrounds" Kerikeri by Kate-Me
Kerikeri Travel Guide: 9 reviews and 50 photos
Kerikeri is a well known fruit and vegetable growing area (incl kiwifruit, citrus, grapefruit, mandarin, sub tropical fruits, avocado and more) and a much larger town than nearby Paihia (it also has its own small airport) There are many roadside stalls on the way into town selling organic produce.
In the main street, we didn’t find many interesting shops, but being a Sunday, most things were closed, apart from some cafes and a secondhand bookshop. (When we returned the next day for another look, it wasn’t much more interesting either).
The town was large enough to have both a McDonalds and a Subway, and had a strange recently revamped main street, where it had been turned into a 1 lane 1 way street, and traffic going the other way had to wind around a back street and rejoin the main street further down the road, which even as a visitor I found quite annoying after doing it a couple of times.
On the outskirts of town it was much more interesting though, as there were places like the Makana Chocolate factory (everybody was given 3 finished product samples) a Kauri Workshop and souvenir shop (a wide variety of souvenirs, including some I hadn’t seen in any other shop.
Here's a couple of photos of the tranquil Kerikeri Basin, the most historic part of town, with the oldest building in New Zealand to be found here.
- Cons:Shopping streets not so interesting
- In a nutshell:A great place to find organic produce & a number of places to do tastings of wine etc
We enjoyed this a little parking area just over the bridge from the KeriKeri Basin's stone store & Kemp House. There are... more travel advice
Kate-Me's Related Pages
Kerikeri Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Kerikeri basin & surrounds"
- "Kerikeri, Bay of Islands"
- "The Northland"
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Kerikeri
- 6 Reviews
- 24 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (35)
Have you been to Kerikeri?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kerikeri
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ballarat Intro, 77 reviews, 199 photos, 5 travelogues
- Melbourne Intro, 57 reviews, 102 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Akaroa Intro, 50 reviews, 103 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Daylesford Intro, 35 reviews, 115 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mildura Intro, 46 reviews, 92 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mount Gambier Intro, 39 reviews, 93 photos, 5 travelogues
- Creswick Intro, 39 reviews, 93 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Napier Intro, 48 reviews, 82 photos, 4 travelogues
- Christchurch Intro, 39 reviews, 71 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Warrnambool Intro, 41 reviews, 67 photos, 4 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (25)
Latest Kerikeri hotel reviews
- Kauri Cliffs Lodge
- 71 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 26, 2013