"Napier, Art Deco architecture capital of the world" Top 5 Page for this destination Napier by Kate-Me
Napier Travel Guide: 187 reviews and 484 photos
Some new pages will be shortly added, after our 2nd visit to Napier in November 2009 (not too many new photos, as the weather was a bit grey).
What can I say about Napier?
It's a marvellous city, born from the ashes in the 1930's, so to speak.
On February 3,1931, an earthquake measuring 7.8 on the Richter Scale hit central Napier and devastatated its central business district, as well as causing widespread damage in Hastings.
In Napier, the fires which broke out soon after the quake destroyed most of the buildings which had managed to survive the tremors.
162 people in Napier also perished.
By early 1933, in the amazingly short space of time of just 2 years, the town had been rebuilt, making it the world?s newest and most modern city of that time.
The town was faithfully and lovingly rebuilt in 1930?s style art deco, and what makes it even more amazing, is that the re-building took place during the Great Depression.
Nowhere else in the world (apart from nearby Hastings) is there a a town or city built entirely in the styles of the 1930?s.
The town even today still has that well loved and well cared for feeling. The streets are clean and attractive, and people seem to take such pride in their city.
It is perhaps as I heard in one comment from a survivor on video at the Earthquake Museum: that the tragedy and adversity made the town stronger.
You won't notice any brick houses or buildings in Napier, or in the whole region really, and that is directly because of the earthquake risk too (not as I earlier thought, that they just preferred weatherboard houses).
It has been shown that stone and wood are far more able to flex should an earthquake occur, so for safety these are the materials used.
On our first visit, February 2004, we arrived in Napier late in the afternoon on a public holiday, Waitangi Day, were lucky to get the chance to share in the town's festivities, which we only found out about when we went for a 5 min walk from our accommodation which we'd just checked into.
We heard the loud speakers and decided to go in and have a closer look at what was going on. It was a huge celebration day, and Napier had NZ's only fireworks for the event, which we were lucky to catch!
Pania of the reef, from an old Maori sea legend. You can find her statue near the brilliant blue fountain on the waterfront, not far along from the Tourist Info centre. I'll give more about her later, as I've known the legend for years now and have a replica of this statue in my home.
- Pros:Stylish, faithful keeping of Art Deco buildings of the 1930's
- Cons:By the sea but no beach - like asphalt gravel instead
- In a nutshell:Nice sea views, special buildings and many other things to do and admire
Not just fish & sharks...there's also a Tuatara enclosure (but we didn't see anything as it was being gardened) We got... more travel advice
Only a few minutes drive from Hastings in the town of Havelock North, is Te Mata Peak, a huge hill/mountain which can be... more travel advice
Kate-Me's Related Pages
Napier Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Napier, Art Deco architecture capital of the world"
- "ART DECO CITY"
- "Art Deco capital of New Zealand"
- "Life on a gravel bed"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Napier
- Hotels in Napier
- Transportation in Napier
- Nightlife in Napier
- Restaurants in Napier
- Shopping in Napier
- Warnings and Dangers in Napier
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Napier
- 48 Reviews
- 82 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (88)
Have you been to Napier?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Napier
- updated a Napier Travel Page "Napier, Art Deco architecture capital of the world"
- Posted in Travel Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock) Forum "Re: Phone Service"
- Wrote a Review National Aquarium about Marine Parade in Napier Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Gannets at Cape Kidnappers, Hawkes Bay region"
- Commented on one of TomorrowsAngel's Napier travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ballarat Intro, 68 reviews, 174 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Akaroa Intro, 51 reviews, 136 photos, 7 travelogues
- Creswick Intro, 50 reviews, 129 photos, 5 travelogues
- Melbourne Intro, 60 reviews, 106 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Daylesford Intro, 36 reviews, 116 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mildura Intro, 46 reviews, 92 photos, 5 travelogues
- Christchurch Intro, 42 reviews, 92 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mount Gambier Intro, 39 reviews, 93 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Napier Intro, 48 reviews, 82 photos, 4 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 35 reviews, 87 photos, 4 travelogues