"Tirau - almost in the middle of nowhere" Tirau by Kate-Me
Tirau Travel Guide: 34 reviews and 118 photos
En route to Rotorua from Auckland (a bit over halfway), we happened across the little town of Tirau, population only 600.
It was right on the highway and we decided it was worth stopping for, for a bit of a wander, though we were a bit pressed for time and knew nothing about it.
It was the sheer quirkiness of it which made us stop.
Most shops were either formed in the shapes of animals, or had large animal or other figures made of corrugated iron mounted on their roof. The whole town was like this. But why???
Later I learned that in the 1980’s the town had been dying, so the locals united and revitalised it by putting up all the rooftop figures, developing quality arts and crafts and cafes in the town, and it turned the place around rather successfully!
- Pros:Pretty countryside, attractive, bright buildings and shops.
- Cons:Pretty much in the middle of nowhere
- In a nutshell:Cute and quirky and worth a visit!
Another example of some of the pretty countryside we drove through during this day, in the Tirau region. Mostly the... more travel advice
And Tirau even has its own castle! I saw it quite some distance away on the top of a hill as we approached the town, and... more travel advice
Kate-Me's Related Pages
Tirau Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Stop at Tirau ~ don't just drive through!"
- "Tirau, on the way to Rotorua and Taupo."
- "Tirau - a small town with a lot of antiques shops!"
- "What corrugated iron can do for your town"
- "Tirau - almost in the middle of nowhere"
- "The corrugated iron town"
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Tirau
- 13 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (34)
Have you been to Tirau?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tirau
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ballarat Intro, 77 reviews, 199 photos, 5 travelogues
- Melbourne Intro, 57 reviews, 102 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Akaroa Intro, 50 reviews, 103 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Daylesford Intro, 35 reviews, 115 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mildura Intro, 46 reviews, 92 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mount Gambier Intro, 39 reviews, 93 photos, 5 travelogues
- Creswick Intro, 39 reviews, 93 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Napier Intro, 48 reviews, 82 photos, 4 travelogues
- Christchurch Intro, 39 reviews, 71 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Warrnambool Intro, 41 reviews, 67 photos, 4 travelogues