"Gateway to the Pyrenees Mountains & wine region" Avoca by Kate-Me
Avoca Travel Guide: 10 reviews and 37 photos
Yes, in Australia we have our very own Pyrenees mountains.
Explorer Major Thomas Mitchell named them the Pyrenees on one of his expeditions in 1836, as they reminded him of the Pyrenees in Europe.
Though it has a population of only 1000, Avoca is in fact one of the larger towns of the immediate region.
The day we were in town happened to be the day of the annual Avoca Races -the Taltarni Cup, which had over 7,000 visitors and over 1000 marquees this year and is becoming more and more famous with each passing year.
- Pros:Has what has to be one of Australia's best and most unique bakeries
- Cons:Mostly it seems to be the pubs serving coffee in town
- In a nutshell:Good little stop off point for visiting the Pyrenees
Taltarni is another well known winery of the Pyrenees, which also has its own restaurant and free tastings (like at... more travel advice
Kate-Me's Related Pages
Avoca Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Avoca
- 15 Reviews
- 35 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (90)
Have you been to Avoca?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Avoca
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ballarat Intro, 68 reviews, 174 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Akaroa Intro, 51 reviews, 136 photos, 7 travelogues
- Creswick Intro, 50 reviews, 129 photos, 5 travelogues
- Melbourne Intro, 60 reviews, 106 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Daylesford Intro, 36 reviews, 116 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mildura Intro, 46 reviews, 92 photos, 5 travelogues
- Christchurch Intro, 42 reviews, 92 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mount Gambier Intro, 39 reviews, 93 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Napier Intro, 48 reviews, 82 photos, 4 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 35 reviews, 87 photos, 4 travelogues