Ballarat Tourist Trap Tips by Kate-Me Top 5 Page for this destination
Ballarat Tourist Traps: 2 reviews and 1 photos
There is a bus stop right outside the station, but whether it's useful depends on where you want to go (the main bus terminal is about a 3 block walk down the street to the foot of the hill behind the shopping Mall but you can also catch certain buses outside Myer if you hail the bus or outside the old post office on the corner of Lydiard & Sturt Streets)
Without your own transport, Ballarat can be a little tricky to get around all the attractions by bus. We don't have special tourist buses stopping off at the various points of interest, but public transport will in most cases take you almost to the door of major places like Sovereign Hill and the Wildlife Park.
Services on weekends have really improved in recent years.
Unique Suggestions: Ask at the Railway station or check out their timetable posters on the wall which give details of how to get to Sovereign Hill by bus.
There are also Ballarat brochures including maps at the station.
Fun Alternatives: An alternative is to hire a car, and drive from Melbourne. It's a straight easy run from the Westgate Bridge and only 110 kms drive, which takes about 1h30.
Parking in Ballarat is quite good and will save you time rather than waiting around for buses (about 1 each hour on regular days).
More Reviews (67)
- See All Arch of Victory and Avenue of Honour
- See All Historical and interactive modern museum
- See All More tranquil than Hepburn Spa on a...
- See All Weather bashing, Melbourne Vs Ballarat
- See All The Nerrina in Ballarat North
- See All Coffee and cake by the Lake
Kate-Me's Related Pages
Ballarat Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ballarat in the Central Victorian goldfields"
- "Reason for being"
- "Keeweechic's Ballarat"
- "Ballarat, or better: Sovereign Hill..."
- "A Former Gold Rush Town"
- "Ballarat - The Town that Gold Built"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ballarat
- Hotels in Ballarat
- Transportation in Ballarat
- Nightlife in Ballarat
- Restaurants in Ballarat
- Shopping in Ballarat
- Warnings and Dangers in Ballarat
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ballarat
- 68 Reviews
- 177 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 49 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (89)
Have you been to Ballarat?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ballarat
- Posted in Travel Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock) Forum "Re: Phone Service"
- Wrote a Review Arch of Victory and Avenue of Honour in Ballarat Off The Beaten Path
- Uploaded a Photo to "Arch of Victory and Avenue of Honour"
- updated a Ballarat Travelogue "Vters & FDU/A-A.com website-ers explore Ballarat"
- Uploaded a Video to Ballarat
- Commented on one of dlandt's Ballarat travel pages
Photos in BallaratSee All Photos (177)
Videos in BallaratSee All Videos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ballarat Intro, 68 reviews, 174 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Akaroa Intro, 51 reviews, 134 photos, 6 travelogues
- Creswick Intro, 50 reviews, 130 photos, 5 travelogues
- Melbourne Intro, 60 reviews, 104 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Daylesford Intro, 36 reviews, 116 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mildura Intro, 46 reviews, 92 photos, 5 travelogues
- Christchurch Intro, 42 reviews, 92 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mount Gambier Intro, 39 reviews, 93 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Napier Intro, 48 reviews, 82 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Warrnambool Intro, 41 reviews, 67 photos, 4 travelogues