Ballarat Tourist Trap Tips by Kate-Me Top 5 Page for this destination
Ballarat Tourist Traps: 2 reviews and 1 photos
People arriving in Ballarat by train may take it for granted that there will be buses right there to take them about the city, but this isn't so.
There is a bus stop right outside the station, but whether it's useful depends on where you want to go (the main bus terminal is about a 3 block walk down the street to the foot of the hill behind the shopping Mall but you can also catch certain buses outside Myer if you hail the bus or outside the old post office on the corner of Lydiard & Sturt Streets)
Without your own transport, Ballarat can be a little tricky to get around all the attractions by bus. We don't have special tourist buses stopping off at the various points of interest, but public transport will in most cases take you almost to the door.
Buses run till only about 5.30 - 6 pm at night, and weekend services after 12 noon Saturday are fairly reduced, though matters have improved in the past year.
Unique Suggestions: Ask at the Railway station or check out their timetable posters on the wall which give details of how to get to Sovereign Hill by bus.
Otherwise, for more info, go the Tourist Information stand in the reception area of the Fine Art Gallery (just along a bit from the station over Mair street). The original Information Centre in Sturt street has relocated to Eureka Street, about 5 kms away.
Fun Alternatives: An alternative is to hire a car, and drive from Melbourne. It's a straight easy run from the Westgate Bridge and only 110 kms drive, which takes about 1h30.
Parking in Ballarat is quite good and will save you time rather than waiting around for buses.
Otherwise you can call a taxi if you're at Soverign Hill and can't wait for a bus to take you back to the city.
More Reviews (76)
- See All More tranquil than Hepburn Spa on a...
- See All Weather bashing, Melbourne Vs Ballarat
- See All Gold rush themed Mini Golf
- See All Drought affected Australia
- See All Vintage style homewares and Cafe
- See All The Nerrina in Ballarat North
Kate-Me's Related Pages
Ballarat Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ballarat in the Central Victorian goldfields"
- "Reason for being"
- "Keeweechic's Ballarat"
- "Ballarat, or better: Sovereign Hill..."
- "A Former Gold Rush Town"
- "Ballarat - The Town that Gold Built"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ballarat
- Hotels in Ballarat
- Transportation in Ballarat
- Nightlife in Ballarat
- Restaurants in Ballarat
- Shopping in Ballarat
- Warnings and Dangers in Ballarat
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ballarat
- 77 Reviews
- 199 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 49 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (89)
Have you been to Ballarat?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ballarat
- Uploaded a Photo to "More tranquil than Hepburn Spa on a Saturday"
- Wrote a Review More tranquil than Hepburn Spa on... in Ballarat Hotels
- Posted in Travel Auckland Forum "Re: new zealand nov 2009"
- Uploaded a Video to Ballarat
- updated a Ballarat Travel Page "Ballarat in the Central Victorian goldfields"
- Commented on one of dlandt's Ballarat travel pages
Photos in BallaratSee All Photos (199)
Videos in BallaratSee All Videos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ballarat Intro, 77 reviews, 199 photos, 5 travelogues
- Melbourne Intro, 57 reviews, 102 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Akaroa Intro, 50 reviews, 103 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Daylesford Intro, 35 reviews, 115 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mildura Intro, 46 reviews, 92 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mount Gambier Intro, 39 reviews, 93 photos, 5 travelogues
- Creswick Intro, 39 reviews, 93 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Napier Intro, 48 reviews, 82 photos, 4 travelogues
- Christchurch Intro, 39 reviews, 71 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Warrnambool Intro, 41 reviews, 67 photos, 4 travelogues