"Broken Hill" Top 5 Page for this destination Broken Hill by Kate-Me
Broken Hill Travel Guide: 134 reviews and 350 photos
Broken Hill is a desert town in South Western New South Wales, approximately 260 kilometres north of Mildura, on the Victoria/NSW border.
It is a small mining city from which billions of dollars of Silver has been extracted, and is still being mined. Broken Hill once possessed the biggest deposit of Silver, Lead and Zinc in the world.
This photo was taken from the Broken Desert Sculpture park, high on a hill just outside Broken Hill. It's titled "Baja el So Jaguar (Under the Jaguar Sun) and is by a mexican artist. There were many sculptures created in the park on the top of this hill, but this one to me is the most impressive.
Besides being the "Silver City" though, its colourful, bold, desert surroundings have attracted many artists to take up residence in the city, creating a mecca.
I also cover Mungo National Park in this chapter, as it is only 200 kms away in a southerly direction from Broken Hill (100 kms out from Mildura)
Mungo National Park is also a desert landscape.
It is renowned for it's most special feature, the Walls of China Lunettes, created from sand and silt and weathered over the centuries.
- Pros:A combination of beautiful galleries and desert landscape
- Cons:A long way to travel to get there
- In a nutshell:The most vibrantly art dominated city I've ever visited in Australia
Here's a map to help you orientate yourself with the Broken Hill region. more travel advice
Kate-Me's Related Pages
Broken Hill Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Art Capital of Australia"
- "BROKEN HILL - SILVER CITY"
- "Broken Hill"
- "BROKEN HILL "THE SILVER CITY"..New South Wales.."
- "Beautiful Broken Hill"
- "Broken Hill area Wildlife"
- "Broken Hill - The Aussie outback"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Broken Hill
- Hotels in Broken Hill
- Transportation in Broken Hill
- Restaurants in Broken Hill
- Shopping in Broken Hill
- Warnings and Dangers in Broken Hill
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Broken Hill
- 12 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (34)
Have you been to Broken Hill?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Broken Hill
Photos in Broken HillSee All Photos (15)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ballarat Intro, 77 reviews, 199 photos, 5 travelogues
- Melbourne Intro, 57 reviews, 102 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Akaroa Intro, 50 reviews, 103 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Daylesford Intro, 35 reviews, 115 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mildura Intro, 46 reviews, 92 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mount Gambier Intro, 39 reviews, 93 photos, 5 travelogues
- Creswick Intro, 39 reviews, 93 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Napier Intro, 48 reviews, 82 photos, 4 travelogues
- Christchurch Intro, 39 reviews, 71 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Warrnambool Intro, 41 reviews, 67 photos, 4 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (25)
Latest Broken Hill hotel reviews
- Broken Hill City Caravan Park
- 42 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 31, 2013
- Underground Motel
- 51 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 28, 2013
- Mario's Palace Hotel
- 45 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 25, 2013
- The Silver Haven Motor Inn
- 13 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 16, 2013
- Best Western Broken Hill Oasis
- 12 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 28, 2013